256 MB Ram
300W PSU
40 GB HDD 7200
Sound card
USB Mouse
keyboard
DVD ROM
USB Printer HP

Now my client has bought it back to me twice now with XP going into reboot cycle .

Client has MS Flight Sim 2004, which freezes after a while, 10 mins or 1 day. The client then has to power off before restarting. They get the black screen / white writing, saying windows was not shut down properly what do you want to do
options include safe mode and normal and last good config.
if normal or last good config are pressed xp logo comes up then hangs at black screen - no error message.
can get into safe mode, no help there, cos when I restart it goes into the reboot cycle.
I have reinstalled windows
reset bios to defaults
run memtest - no errors
updated all drivers

Now i think it could be something to do with the USB ports, as when I do get windows to start ( eg after reinstalling and before it crashes) the USB mouse is not recognised until it is removed and replaced, then the found new hardware comes up and the mouse works fine.
I can shut down and restart with no problem ( each time the USB ports are not recognised untiil they are removed and replaced)
and I think all is ok until it freezes and we have to turn the power off to get going again.
The printer software seems to be corrupted as I get a lot of ????? and //// in the properties page

However I am open to all suggestions as I may have to refund their money if I cant get this to work!!

Many thanks

Siggy

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2005
    Same thing happened to a customer of mine a couple weeks ago. Turned out to be a bad HDD.

She would get to the Windows Logo screen with the little blue moving bar, then it would restart suddenly.

If you can get to the command prompt, run a chkdsk and see if it shows any bad clusters. If it does then thats probably your issue.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    With only 256MB of RAM and the onboard video using some of that, I'd suggest adding memory.

The USB thing sounds fishy, too. Have you installed all of the Windows Update stuff? You might also try booting into Safe Mode, uninstalling anything USB-related, then reboot and let Windows give it another try.

Good luck! :)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    i'll bet it's the psu....which, in turn, is causing the usb devices to act up...
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited April 2005
    OK guys,
    Many thanks for the ideas.

I have run chkdisk and all is well with the hard drive

I have updated the Bios and reinstalled the Via 4 in 1 drivers

I have entered safe mode and uninstalled all the USB related stuff,
    then reinstalled

I have discovered that by removing the USB mouse and placing in the PS2 slot (with adapter) the problem goes away.
    This leads me to think that the USB Hub may be at fault. But what else can I do to fix it?

thanks again guys

David
    edited April 2005
    Siggy wrote:
    ...I have discovered that by removing the USB mouse and placing in the PS2 slot (with adapter) the problem goes away.
    This leads me to think that the USB Hub may be at fault. But what else can I do to fix it?...
    Is the mouse being plugged into a USB port built into the MB, or one attached to the MB by a dongle? If the latter, you might re-check the connectors on the MB. If the port is built into the MB and is defective, there's not much you can do.

What happens if you try a different brand of mouse in the same USB port, or the same mouse in a different USB port? You might try a different type of USB device in the port, too, just to make sure that it's the port and not the hardware.
    edited April 2005
    OK
    many thanks for all the responses:

Prof. The USB ports all work with different devices in them, the mouse works once it has been removed and replaced. I went into safe mode and removed all the USB connectors and hubs, and then restarted and windows found them all oK and reinstalled them.

I have found that there is not a problem until the mouse is placed into a USB port, this is true with 3 different USB mice?, and not the USB printer or a memory stick

As the PC now works with the mouse in a PS2 port I have given it back and am hoping for the best!!!

thanks again to all who helped, you are the best!!!

Siggy
    edited April 2005
    Well i got a phone call - The PC died on them. the BSOD came up showing :

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

However if they unplug the printer, and restart all is well. The PC doesnt seem to like anything in the USB ports when it powers up. when running, USB ports all work as normal! :confused:

I Hate computers!

Siggy
    edited April 2005
    Do they have SP1 installed?
    edited May 2005
    they are SP2 - installed off legit M$ disk wind0ws xp pro includes sp2 version 2002
    edited May 2005
    You might try going into Device Manager and then go through each USB Root Hub and uncheck the box marked "Allow computer to turn off device to save power".

Playing around with the USB settings in the BIOS could be worth a shot, too. If you haven't already updated the BIOS to the latest version, I'd do that.

Do you have a spare external (powered) USB hub you could try? If for some reason the onboard USB ports aren't providing the power they should it might be a workaround.

Good luck, Siggy. :)
    edited May 2005
    Well they bought it back in today and I have to exchange it for another one :mad:

I now have time to try and sort out the problem with this one!

I will try your suggestions Prof and let you know how I go

I dont have an external hub to try

Many thanks for the help, it is much appreciated

Siggy