XP Install Problem

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi,

I've been trying to install XP for two days now, without success. The unit was working fine for a couple of months. I decided to play with Ghost backup and felt it's pretty safe to try things since I have copy of C drive tucked away. After playing with various games, trial products, I decided to reload XP to C drive. but after the partition is formatted, files copied, and ready to re-start, the system never goes in GUI to finish loading XP. It just keeps going back to re-start all over again. CD would spin, checks system, ask to partition/format, copy files, and re-start. This would keep looping over and over again.

Oh yeah, Ghost would give the following error msg:
"Application Error 29004"
"Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = o,
sectors 729050177 to 729050178"

I've also ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:
Model: WDC WD200JD - 22HBB0
Firmware: 08.02D08
CHS: 3876211663
Capacity: 200G
Drive: 0 Port:0xEFE0

Quick Test: W/O errors; Error/Status Code: 0000

Extended Test: No errors found; Error/Status code: 0000

The one thing that I didn't want to try is to 'write zeros to drive', as I still have data in other partitions that I want to keep (if all possible).

I've tried to load OEM controller drivers at beginning of install (F6), but no go. Going crazy , please help?

P4-3.0

ASUS P4P800-E deluxe

WD Caviar SE SATA 200 Gb (WD2000JD)

512mb pc3200

ATI 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder

Thanks,
onemorebeer

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Have you ran memtest ?

This sounds very likely to be defective ram
  • edited April 2005
    GrayFox, thanks for the suggestion. Have never used memtest. I'll do this as soon as I find out how/where to get software to do this.

mtgoat, if you're referring to my issue, I do have the system specs on the bottom of my first msg. If not, please ignore this note.

onemorebeer
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    ...Have never used memtest. I'll do this as soon as I find out how/where to get software to do this...
    You can get it here: Memtest-86
  • edited April 2005
    prodfld, thanks for the memtest files.

GreyFox, I've ran memtest for 4 hours / 25 passes. O error.

So far, I've ran the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic; memtest; loaded OEM controller driver (F6) during XP install; turning power management ON/OFF in bios... but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

I'm so frustrated that I cannot load XP, driving me crazy. :scratch:
    edited April 2005
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but it sounds like you're using both Ghost and trying to do a clean install at the same time. :)
  • edited April 2005
    Sorry for the confusion. Ghost backup image reload was my first intention, and the new XP install was out of desperation. But neither is going well.
    edited April 2005
    Boot up from the WinXP CD and go into the recovery console, then try the following commands:

Fixboot
    Fixmbr
    chkdsk /f

Do them in that order, hitting <enter> after each one.

Then cross your fingers, reboot, and see what happens.