Face blurring editing programs?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Internet & Media
We've all seen news reports on TV where someones face is blurred out to avoid identification but the rest of the video all around them is normal.

Are there any editing programs available to PC users that can do this? As always, free is best, and super cheap is almost as good.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    You can do that with Adobe After Effects for sure, as I did that more than once in my time as a TV editor. It's just a blur effect or a mosaic effect that is keyframed to follow the movement of the face. But After Effects is not cheap...

I think you may be able to do it with Premiere as well. Any other editing program that lets you do a partial blur or mosaic effect, and apply keyframes to the position parameters, will let you do this.

Dexter...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Yes. Blur, pixelate, mosaic, whatever it's called.

Do any of those programs have something like a 10 to 30 day free trial period? I'd like to experiment with it a little bit.

I don't think Windows Movie Maker 2 has this option. I'd go through and manually apply it to each frame if I needed to, not a problem.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    edited April 2005
    Their website insists I register, then every time I try, it says that user name isn't available. :shakehead
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2005
    Choose another?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Just make one up if you want to merely try the program. Use the following: if it's taken, I'll credit you one month hosting ;)

adobe ID: dsafj3987u3oiunf098u3ijfre

;D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'll go register it really quick ;D
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited April 2005
    Well im sorry to inform you but...

I have found an answer that may solve your mosaic blurring problem download Avid Free from Avid.com don't even think about trying to buy the program because it is a real wallet smasher $1,200 and up but you can download one for free using AVID DV FREE I think look for it in Downloads/Products.
    edited April 2005
    Are you still online?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I vouche of AVID Free DV, though on every system I used it on, I got a few problems with it artifacting on the menu's for some very odd reason. But it can be daunting to someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
    edited April 2005
    THere are tutorials on there website

I have Avid DV Pro and it really hurts my head I am still not as good at it as I want to be. also try looking for Vegas 5 trail or demo online it is far by the best and eaisest noe i have ever used.
    edited April 2005
    Prime - aside from the user ID, it requires a password also. Since I wasn't able to make it go, does that count for a free month? ;)

Let me know if there's a password associated with that user name and I'll try again. I'll also try downloading the other suggestions.

bothered - Yes, I did try several different user names.

It's just an experimental thing I'm doing with editing. If I see a way to get anything useful added to my shows out of it, I'll use it. But for now it's just something to play around with.

I wonder if the Adobe trial program has most of its features (including the one I want) disabled. I wouldn't be surprised.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Nope, it doesn't count :p I said if the username was taken ;)

Adobe trial software is never crippled. It only works for 30 days and then stops.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    The only thing with AEFX is do not use easy ease for the motion tracking paths. Easy Ease smooths out the path and thus can make your blur effect drift where you don't want it to.