Access Denied to Storage HD (contains my WORK data)

croc_croc_ New
edited October 2006 in Hardware
For some reason today when I booted up I tried to open a folder in my D: drive and I get Access Denied. I checked the permissions and they are set to "everyone" "full control", but just in case I added all the groups to full control and I get the same error.

Os is: Win2k pro sp4.
Drive is: Maxtor 160gb ata133 7200rpm 8mb cache.

Suggestions?

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited September 2003
    Did you check permissions on the drive or on that folder specifically? Make sure you have rights to both. Also perhaps typical hard disk applications (scandisk, defrag, antivirus) could be of service

~dodo
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited September 2003
    thing is, I gave the whole drive permissions but I can't access the security tab for the folders because I get access denied.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited September 2003
    ok well im goign to wipe the drive by deleteing the partition and then use gdbNTFS to try and recover it ... if anyone has any other suggestions please post them or AIM me: emperorcroc

I will be deleting the partition when i get home at around 6pm pst
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Try this. Use the file I have attached, save it to your computer and extract it to your d:\

Go to a command prompt and type

takeown D:\(insert name of folder)

This "should" give your current user rights to the folder. Your best doing this with your administrator account.

Hope this works.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited September 2003
    ok im running check disk right now, If this doesnt work ill try that. thanks.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited September 2003
    Boot to Knoppix, the haxx0rz Linux, from CD and changed what ever teh Fsck you want, totally rips NTFS permissions to shreds and if that's not enough...it's also a complete OS that boots from CD-ROM and doesn't require install.
    http://www.knoppix.net/
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    topherice said
    Boot to Knoppix, the haxx0rz Linux, from CD and changed what ever teh Fsck you want, totally rips NTFS permissions to shreds and if that's not enough...it's also a complete OS that boots from CD-ROM and doesn't require install.
    http://www.knoppix.net/

I think what you need Knoppix STD to browse ntfs. I THINK.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Um, easiest way to destroy NTFS perms is to convert drive to FAT32, which XP reads fine. PM 8.0 can do this for a 40GB Part in about 15-20 minutes on my P4 box. The perms are in the file journalling and part sectoring, alter to FAT32 and no journals are there but data is-- and Part sector got overwritten in conversion to one sans security.

It is quite possible you might find an AV helpful as said, or possibly a rerun of PM 8.0 to reconvert from FAT32 to NTFS IF and only if you have PM 8.0 if you want to. Everything I NEED in the way of work data on my Windows HD sits in FAT32, Programs are in NTFS. Windows will not INSTALL this way, WILL run this way fine.

John.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited September 2003
    Well I wiped the drive and used GetDataBack to recover my files. The weird thing is, I got past the permissions finally (don't ask me how) but all the folders were empty. I think this was more than just bad permissions. =(
  • edited May 2005
    Necropolis
    Try this. Use the file (takeown.exe) I have attached, save it to your computer and extract it

MY FRIENDS DEM DAM THAT file saved my life !!!

Thanks a million...

I had 2 NTFS partitions that i merged to together with Partition Magic when i cam back to PC i had a folder called I:\merge I COULD NOT get into this folder it had all my IMPORTANT data in it... I never gave up cause i saw that the MERGED partition had used space which ment that my FILES were still there
    THE MISSION STARTS...
    1. downloaded norton ghost to try imagebrowser the file out
    2. norton wanted me to install .NET (ffs)
    3. nortons image browser didnt wana work
    4. went on a mission for proggies to access merged folders (basicaly nothing)
    5. FOUND THIS SITE
    6. FOUND Necropolis POST!!!
    7. Problem solved!!!

SHOT!!! Necropolis!!!
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited May 2005
    Lol! thats awesome :thumbsup: this thread is like 2 years old ;D
  • edited October 2006
    Man, that guy saved me.... i'm really pleased for his help.

Thanks a lot from Argentina. You saved me man... thanks =)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2006
    when you take ownership of a drive or the root folder, make sure you choose to overwrite child objects in subcontainers.

taking ownership with out that will only let you put new stuff on the drive and still lock you out of whats there.