What is this piece called?

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Today I was getting out of my chair when I happened to have a USB cord wrapped around my leg. When I took a step I heard a crack and my USB cable went flying across the room, along with a piece of my case (which I found is supposed to come out). The end of the USB Cable was bent (no problem, I fixed it with a pair of pliers), but it also bent the port and broke the chip that it connects to. I took the front and side of the case off hoping to find the name of the chip written on it but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what it is called? Its at the front of the case where the USB slots are, and the port sort of plugs into it. Any idea how much a replacement might cost?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Pics?

What brand and model# is your case and MB?
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited April 2005
    Sorry I dont have any pics. I'll try to find a pic of the case and show you where it is tomorrow. The computer is an HP Pavillion a706n. I don't know about the case or mobo.
    edited April 2005
    Does it look anything like the attached picture?

Logically, from your description of the events leading to the mishap, I would deduce that you have snapped off a piece of the USB front-panel connector. You'd either have to buy a replacement from the case manufacturer, or rig up a regular USB bracket to fit in the space.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    might be cheaper to go out and buy a USB hub.
    edited April 2005
    Okay, I have a picture. Sorry, the piece isn't folded down to expose the USB ports. I found this pic online and just modified it to show you where they were.

That folds down to expose three USB ports, an expansion bay for an extra hard drive, a firewire port, and a place for speakers, a microphone, and another thing (I can't tell what it is by the sticker next to the port), along with a few memory card readers. It is the middle USB port that is broken. With the piece of the case that goes around it off, it looked like the chip that the port connects to was broken, but the port is definately bent. Sorry I can't explain it better or have a better pic.
    edited April 2005
    Judging by the picture, I'd guess you're either going to have to live with it, or buy a new case. :(

What kanezfan mentioned is a good idea. You can buy a hub that fits in a spare 3.5" bay that will give you your broken port back, plus a few more.
    edited April 2005
    Well I don't need 4 extra USB ports, so I guess I'll have to live with it. It was my favorite port too ;D;D
    edited April 2005
    Try and cope with it. :D

I'd take a close look and be sure that your little impromptu case mod didn't mess something else up, or short out the connector. If there's nothing else attached to the MB, I'd see if I could remove the wires from the MB at the other end.