Help for a newbie on oc RAM/CPU

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi all,

Quick background: I'm new to this forum, so please take it easy on me. I use my machine for mid-level graphic games (mostly sports Madden 2005, etc.), but mostly for video capture (with my Plextor USB device) and other related multi-media purposes (converting .avi files to .mpg, then to .vob). I want to maximize the performance of my RAM/CPU to improve capture quality and conversion speed.

I've tried to find answers to all my questions without having to post, and the information I've found has been extremely helpful, but I've come to a dead end on this one. I want to overclock my RAM/CPU more than I already have, but I seem to have hit a wall on both. My current RAM timings are 2-3-2-6. I have read in numerous locations from Thrax and others that 2-2-2-11 are the ideal settings for my mobo, but I can't get there. I've determined the hangup is RAS to CAS delay. I CANNOT get that below 3, even with the settings recommended by Thrax in this post. I've boosted voltage to 2.8V, with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have I reached the limit of my RAM? I've used Sandra to benchmark and found that the 2-3-2-6 is the fastest setting I've been able to reach so far. If I can't step up the performance anymore, I will buy another stick...should I reach for a similar Kingston 512MB, or would another brand (Corsair) work better?

Separately, I've tried to boost CPU performance by stepping up my settings from 11 X 200 to 11 X 206 in increments of two with mixed results on stability even after boosting voltage to 1.775 and (eek!) 1.8V. I've tried to go up to 12 X 204, with horrible results (I had to grapple for my CCMOS on that one). Any tips on the best CPU timing? Would a 10 X XXX setting be quicker/more stable?

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length of the post and the number of questions. In retrospect, I probably could have split this one up. Thanks :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It looks like you've reached the limit of your memory. Kingston DDR333, and indeed most DDR333 isn't well-known for its timings.. Usually 2/3/3 or abysmal 3/3/3 because it's now relegated to the role of budget memory. I can't believe you even got it to DDR400 and DDR412 at all.

Go OCZ PC3200 Platinum and don't look back. It'll blow your current memory out of the water. Personally, I'd just avoid Kingston entirely.. Too little too late all the time.
  • edited April 2005
    Blast! Wish I would have done my research before purchasing it 12 months ago! :bawling: Guess I'll cut my losses and upgrade to the OCZ. Thanks for the knowledge.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    ndawg,

As Thrax is saying, the 3200 Platinum rev 2 can handle both 2,2,2,5 timings at 200-210 and 2.5,3,3,7 up to about 270 making it one of the most versatile memory out there.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited May 2005
    I see setting for memory timming and cpu tweaking all over this forum. I have a MSI Neo 2 platinum with a AMD 64 3200+ winney and good Patriot memory... 1 gig of XBLK. Is there a thread somewhere in the forum or else where that I can read to try my hand at overclocking? I was told not to install the software that came with my MB for overclocking. Core cell I think it was called. But I have to start somewhere. I just want some fail- safe numbers to try. Thank you for any input guys.....and I guess I make these changes in my bios?
  • edited May 2005
    ronbo, why don't you start your own thread to help you overclock your setup. Include all the components of your system and then let us help you out. I know that there's several folks here running MSI mobo's and could probably help you out with the bios settings for your board. :D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    ndawg, also make sure that your 1G is matched sticks of 512.
    My memory isn't too hot, I am running 2.5/3/3 at 200x11.5
    At 166 it will run 2/2/2, but that is no fun.