pc2700 ddr ram problem - how do i skip the memory test?

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

i recently decided it was time to move up from my 512mb ddr 2700 333mhz ram on my A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and add another gig (single stick).

I purchased this

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=9818
1Gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
which also runs at 33mhz.

I tried opening the case and installing it but during the memory test it told me i had over 2gig of ram (when i only had the single 1gb stick in) and then it would freeze. on that screen.

i've updated the Asus bios drivers to the latest offerings and now my memory number reads correctly, but it still crashes forcing me to hard-power-down the computer.

I want to be able to skip the memory test and see if my system will run, but it won't let me and the quickboot option within the bios screen is having none of my ideas.

Any ideas that can help please?

i intend to run the 1gb stick along side the 512 one, (and when i do the numbers read right but it crashes before fully booting, straight after the memory test counter finishes.)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andrew

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    You need to open your manual and see what size ram is allowed in what slots. Some are very picky.

If it was me I would pull the 512mb out and put the 1gb in that slot. Try and boot with just that one stick for starters and see if even one works,

Tex
  • edited April 2005
    i've tried every combination of slots. the 1gb stick freezes up after the check every time. the 512 stick works in every slot to full boot.

The motherboard can support 3gb in ram.

any ideas?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2005
    I clicked on your link and it seems by the questions posted onthe site they can't tell you if it will work in anything! Try the manufacturers web sites looking for compatibility issues. Could be a bad stick, (it happens) or the mobo just doesn't like it.

Have you got another machine to try it in?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Donut gave you good advice. If the ram will work in another machine I'd suggest you run memtest86 while you're at it.

Have you played around with the memory timing in the bios? You might give that a shot, if you haven't already done so.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    The asus A7N8X-E is VERY pickey about what ram you use in it. I cant havent been able to get it to post with anything that wasn't using a major brand ic ex samsung,winbond,infinon

Its likely that that ram is not compatable with your board.
  • edited May 2005
    well thanks for the help guys,

I've not really played with the bios too much as i'm no expert. however when i did play with the timings once it told me the correct memory number (down from 2.3gig of ram down to the correct 1 gig) so do you think that has anything to do with it?

is there no way to pass that memory counter?

sorry for the late posting
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    No probably not.... its testing the memory. It knows it can not correctly access the memory. meaning if you COULD bypass it and started doing anything with it it would crash.... corrupt data on the disk etc.. You would screw your install and data on your disk up etc...

Its protecting you from your self.

Return it and get decent memory guaranteed to work.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    managed to finally get the full memory test to check it, error in 524288k, crashed every time.

So i'm sending it back.

thanks for the help people.

:)