Password protection for certain folders ONLY?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
A few months ago, I had built a computer system and sold it locally. Abit VA-10 V1.3 MB, XP Home, nothing unusual about it. It has 2 hard drives. One for the OS and antivirus software and storage, the other for pure storage and backup only.

Today the buyer called me and asked if there was a way the second (non OS) hard drive could have certain folders password protected to prevent access. But only certain folders, not the whole hard drive or the whole system.

I know you can use the XP login password thing, but that covers the whole system. He wants only certain files to have limited access.
Can this be done, and if so, how?

And if it could be done, would a Start << Search file search show the file names in the password protected area?

Comments

• tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited May 2005
    You're limited by XP Home. You can choose to either share or not. You can't take advantage of NTFS file level permissions like you can in XP Pro.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    It may have been a couple of years ago but I'm sure I password protected a folder with winzip. It was for the wifes birthday New York trip but I didn't want her stumbling on my plans. :)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2005
    There are numerous apps available to encrypt folders of your choosing, you simply encrypt them with a password and then they disappear from view. The only way to see them is to run the program, and enter your password, which will temporarily decrypt them for use. When you are done with the files in them, you exit the program, and it re-encrypts and hides the folders again. I can't remember the apps off hand, I would have to search for them later when I have more time, but they are downloadable at Download.com, do a search there for "encryption" and see what you can find, or wait until I have time later to look them up. :)

Dexter...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Hey Dexter, I just saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the movies, and I saw where you get your "42" quote from. I've been wondering about that for a long time now.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2005
    Ok, here is a search on folder encryption at Download.com.

The top hit, Folder Lock, I have read good reviews of.

Magic Folders is also well recommended.

Both cost a bit of money, there may be free apps to use instead, but file encryption is not something you want to do on the cheap, so you are probably better off to use a paid app.

If you do a search there on the words "file encryption" there will be pages and pages of hits as well.

Let us know which one you go for.

I haven't seen the Hitchhiker's movie yet, but like many here, I have been a long time fan of the books. :)

Dexter...