What's wrong with my PC????

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Why is my pc so unbelievably slow. I have a windows XP edition, we haven't even used half of the memory, we have an anti-virus program, as well as an anti-spyware program, our computer is firewalled and even the simplest of tasks takes forever to happen. If anyone could discuss this with me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Don't get the terms "memory" and "hard drive space" confused. I think maybe you mean you have used up half of your available hard drive space, which is fine. You can't "use up" memory. How much RAM does your computer have? Not enough RAM can make a computer very slow.

Also, it's very possible that you have spyware or viruses on your system. Read this, and then post a HijackThis log here.

Welcome to short-media :)
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited May 2005
    if you have windows xp and 128,256mb of RAM you might be in some trouble.

upgrade to 512 at least.

If you need aditional help send me a message

HEARTSMASHERELITE :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    I don't think it's a virus or any spy-ware because I already have spybot S & D, and I have Mcafee anti-virus, and i do scan for spyware and viruses quite often so i don't think it's that. But I think my pc is 256MB ram.
  • edited May 2005
    if you have windows xp and 128,256mb of RAM you might be in some trouble.

upgrade to 512 at least.

If you need aditional help send me a message

HEARTSMASHERELITE :thumbsup:

How much would it cost to get an upgrade?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    It depends on the type of ram you need, first figure out how much memory you have installed.

Click on my Computer -> Control Panel -> System

It should list how much memory is available for windows to use.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Having just one spyware removal program is sometimes not enough. I'd still be interested in seeing a HJT log.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    I would recommend doing a full 'chkdsk' to search for NTFS file system problems. Hard drive issues can slow your PC to a hault.

Simply click Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt..

Type in chkdsk /r

It will tell you that it will be completed upon next reboot, so just restart your computer, and let the disk check take it's course. It may take 30 minutes to several hours to complete. Keep an eye on the check, and take note of any errors it finds.
  • edited May 2005
    Don't get the terms "memory" and "hard drive space" confused. I think maybe you mean you have used up half of your available hard drive space, which is fine. You can't "use up" memory. How much RAM does your computer have? Not enough RAM can make a computer very slow.

Also, it's very possible that you have spyware or viruses on your system. Read this, and then post a HijackThis log here.

Welcome to short-media :)

Well I downloaded that ad-aware program, but whenever i clicked on it, a message kept coming up saying that it has encountered a problem and needs to close down. Any other programs i should download as a substitute?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    I run windows 2003 server on a celeron 2.8 with 256meg ddr266 and it runs fine.

I think that there is something else going on here.

run the chkdisk. I would venture to say also

Turn off your screen saver

while at the screen saver tab, hit the power button right below the screensaver and set everthing to never.

use disk clean up in start programs accessories system tools

now do a complete defrag.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    256 is alright if your running McAfee or Nortons anti-virus stuff as they eat a lot of memory. 128mb won't cut it.

256mb is a realistic miniumum for XP. 512mb is the sweetspot.

Tex