Flashed BIOS, now RAID 0 doesn't work, can't boot or find HDD

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of an issue. My PC was running pretty slowly, so it was suggested I update BIOS. Wrong move, because I couldn't boot up. It said "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." I have a RAID 0 setup and I'm guessing this is where the problem lies. I pulled the battery and reset the BIOS to the original, but still the same problem. In my BIOS the boot order is Floppy, SCSI, CDROM. My SATA is enabled and is set to RAID in the BIOS. I have a Gigabye K8N Pro. I also have a floppy with the RAID drivers. When I use the Windows startup CD it will detect the drivers and find the partitions I have made on the RAID array. I attempted to reinstall Windows and still the same problem.

I'd appreciate any help at all. The end of the semester is approaching and much of my work is stored on that computer.

Thank you very much!

Mike

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2005
    If you can try and reflash to BIOS version that you were running then try and reboot.

Sometimes when you flash you get the option to save the old BIOS to a file, if you did that try and use that one.

"g"
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Since you tried to re-install already have you given up trying to recover the data or where are we at here?

I am assuming the bios upgrade also upgraded the raid bios which is iffy at times. Can you check and see if the raid bios which is embedded in the computers bios as a sorta seperate piece possiby changed versions as thats an important clue. Sometimes you need a driver upgrade too as it often needs to match the bios version and you have to do that in Windows BEFORE the bios flash and then reboot. Flash. Reboot into windows with the new drivers already installed.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    I saved the old bios, but it's on my hard drive, and since I can't access that I don't know how to get at it.

I reinstalled Windows in a different directory. I know, not a good idea, but I was desperate. It saved it in the normal partition. Like, the installer recognized the drives in RAID configuration at that time.

As for the driver being up to date, I think it is, because I tried one and the Windows installer didn't see the two drives linked as one, but as separate SATA regular drives. When I went to a different version of the same driver, it found the RAID 0 array and my partitions.

Is there any way I can boot the PC w/o the hard drives being recognized at start up? This way I could install the driver through Windows...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    After flashing did you try to rebuild or create your array in the RAID bios? Sometimes this is all it takes.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2005
    Raptor303 wrote:
    I reinstalled Windows in a different directory. I know, not a good idea, but I was desperate. It saved it in the normal partition. Like, the installer recognized the drives in RAID configuration at that time.

As far as I know the only possible way that you could have installed windows in a different directry and not over written your info on your raided drives is to have installed it on a completely different drive seperate from the 2 drives that you had raided together...

"g'