ATI FireGL T2-128??

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I'm curious if anyone's used one of these, I found a promotional thing that gives this card combined with Soft Image XSI Foundation for less than $600 but I am unsure how good the card is.

I know it's NOT a gaming card, but that's kinda why I want it. For my 3D/2D development. I don't know how to compair it other than to a car I know of like my 9800XT.

Anyone give me some ideas of how well it could perform in compairison to my current card? And yes, since I would need to play some games from time to time... how well would it perform in a game?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    I work at an Engineering company where we use these cards. We use Autodesk 2005 and they run perfectly. We replaced ATI 9200 because they were having slowness and performance issues with the 3d rendering and objects. I haven't convinced anyone to try half-life 2 on their pc's yet, but I'll let you know if I do...
  • edited May 2005
    They are real bad in terms of gaming performance. Don't even think about trying HL2.

They are good for Autocad, Solidworks etc. BUT they are an ENTRY LEVEL workstation card based on: ATI FGL 9600 with 128MB memory generally.

Nothing special.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have one in my laptop, it's not a bad card. It'll do Solidworks without any trouble and unofficially will do quite well playing Unreal Tournament 2004 at 1600x1200. I disagree with phathag on HL2, I get acceptable framerates at sane detail settings with mine.

-drasnor :fold:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    I never understood this. I remember seeing a softmod you could do to "turn" your card (9800pro, etc) into a FireGL. Why all the fuss over them? If you're gonna spend that much, wouldn't you be better off going with, say, an x800XT? That way you get great gaming performance, too...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I know without a doubt a GFFX 5200 does better in the real time framerate while modeling in 3D, so the card type does matter in that a card built for modeling will do better than a gaming card. That softmod crap doesn't give as good of results as the real thing, just like softmoding your 9700 to 9800 and crap like that.

Whatever.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Ah ok. Chill bud, I didn't know that. I assume since you could softmod, it meant the cores were physically the same and it was just a marketing gimmick, which I guess it isn't. Fair enough.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    save yourself the money and heartache and get a good 800xl.