Need Help Getting Radeon 9800 pro to work

edited May 2005 in Hardware
:( I have a HP pavilion 742n and I just bought and installed a Antec 300 Smartpower. I have been online with The Radeon people and Computer people for four days and I still have not got this running.

With the Radeon 9800 removed. Then they tell me to go into the bios setup and change the (onboard video) or (primary Video adapter ) to AGP. Well I looked at what was in the column of things and I seen (Onboard video memory) and no (onboard video).The other thing I seen was (Primary video adapter). I entered the (Primary video Adapter) and it had two spots that you could put it on.One was PCI , which it was on already.The other said AGP. So I figured it had to be moved to AGP, seeing as that was where I was plugging the card into. When I tried several different ways to do this , all I got was a monitor with a black screen and after a couple of seconds the screen went into standby mode. The green light on the button went to yellow.Also ,they told me that the (Intergrated Graphics controller) must be disabled in order for the AGP slot to work.What ever that is? So I shut it down and removed the card and here I am, looking for HELP
STEVE :bawling:

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    It should be somewhere in the bios (not sure where in your case) But it will say something like "onboard device video enabled" chance it to disabled

Also change primary video adapter to agp
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    Like grayfox said, there should be an option to disable the onboard video somewhere. I don't know HP bios very well .. but on one of the IBM's I worked on the only way to disable the onboard video was to change the memory alloted to it to 0. If you can't find another option you might try that.

Do you have any way to test that the 9800 is good? (ie another computer?)
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you for the quick replies, I will try (Onboard video memory) setting it to 0 and I will try taking th ebios from PCI and putting it to AGP.
    There is no (onboard device Video). I will try these things and see what happens.It is not fun putting the board in and taking it back out when it does not work.
    Thank you STEVE
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Do what the other guys told you regarding the bios stuff, etc.

Then boot into Safe Mode, go to Control Panel>>Add or Remove Programs and uninstall anything that says nVidia.

After that (still in Safe Mode) run the NVCleaner tool to get rid of the bits and pieces of the old driver which are likely still floating around on your computer. (Make sure you download the tool before you boot into Safe Mode.)

Shut down, physically install your new card, then boot up and install the new drivers.
  • edited May 2005
    I am happy that I have so many people willing to help me out.i really appreciate it.
    Back to my problem. I went and downloaded the RV cleaner and started in the safe mode .Then i went to delete the nvidia files and it did not work on my files.(sorry).So I am going to go and try to put the onboard video memeory to ) if I can and seewhat happens.If anyone has any more good ides I relly would appreciate them
    Steve
    edited May 2005
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you plugging the power connector into the new card?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    He would get a message in big red letters that his card doesnt have it pluged in if he didn't.

But another good question would be is the monitor pluged into the ati card
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    He would get a message in big red letters that his card doesnt have it pluged in if he didn't...
    And just how would he see that, since all he's getting is a blank screen? :cool: