Download.com says : No Adware, No Exceptions

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Premier download site; Download.com strikes into the heart of the adware pirates distribution by refusing to offer any software bundled with ad/spy/malware of any kind.
When it comes to fighting unwanted adware and spyware, CNET Download.com has always been in your corner. During the past few years, we've brought you the best tools and tips in our Spyware Center, and we've maintained a strict policy toward adware by allowing only software that discloses advertising partnerships during installation.

This week, we've upped the ante: we're launching a new zero-tolerance policy toward all bundled adware. That means every time you download software from Download.com, you can trust we've tested it and found it to be adware-free--period.

Why are we taking this extra step? In your letters, user reviews, and polls, you told us bundled adware was unacceptable--no matter how harmless it might be. We want you to know what you're getting when you download from CNET Download.com, and no other download site can promise you will.

Can we guarantee you'll never get adware or spyware on your computer? Unfortunately, no. For that reason, we strongly encourage--no, make that beg--you to take extra steps to keep your computer free of all unwanted adware and spyware. Download and install a reputable antispyware scanner today.
Well done CNET, we salute you for the effort!

Source: CNET

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    That's a smart move on their part. People in the know are going to do a lot more of their searches for new programs there, since it's not going to require an hour of delousing afterwards.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    They made a very good move :D. Now I can randomly download stuff from there to try out again with out worries about spyware :D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    Fantastic!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    That's a very cool policy and I applaud them for taking the high road on this issue. :clap:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    They have become part of my updated bookmarks once again! Dunno why I stoppped going there in the first place, but news like this makes me wanna give them many more hits :D
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Big dtep in the right direction, I know that might cut out a good chunk of downloads from them but it is worth it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Yay!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Over 600 individual files removed and they are still removing! Excellent news :D
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2005
    Bravo to CNET / Download.com for this bold and responsible step, they are setting a tone of leadership for other sites to follow.

I am subscribed to Download.com's mailing list, and this was the announcement in my Inbox:
    Now with no adware!

With a big sigh of relief from Download.com's editorial department, we banned adware from the site last week. We've seen the scourge of adware face-to-face, and, though we tried to offer reasonable warnings about it on Download.com, we knew it was still a problem for people. Not to mention how often we have to get our test machines rebuilt after adware has thoroughly destroyed them.

To enact this policy, we removed a whole lot of screensavers and small audio apps, as well as a few games you've probably never heard of. I don't think anyone's going to miss the type of software that carries adware--and, with it gone, the good software will be easier to find.

In some quarters this policy change was controversial. However, it certainly wasn't controversial among the many folks who get their software via Download.com. The fact that Ad-Aware maintains the top position on our Most Popular list testifies to the fact that people want to get rid of adware. We want to be the most trusted site on the Web for software downloads and, judging from the reader feedback we've gotten, banning adware was exactly the way to go.

Wayne Cunningham
    Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

Good on them :thumbsup:

Dexter...