creating security for wireless

ScuffScuff Southwestern, Pennsylvania
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I want to create some form of security for my wireless router. Is data encryption the only way do do this and how do I do that?

Thr router is a "b" blitz brand and the card is a "g" &"b" if that matters.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    You can do MAC filtering and WEP. Also turn off the broadcasting function so that people cannot see it. :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Yep. 128bit WEP, MAC filtering, disable SSID broadcast.

As for how to do it on your router.. I wouldn't know, I've never heard of the brand in my life and, arrogantly enough, is probably a bad thing. :p
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Is leaving ssid on really a bad thing ?, And I recomend useing wpa insted of wep :P .
    But yah mac filtering is a 100% must.
    edited May 2005
    Most products still don't support WPA.
    edited May 2005
    Why havent the lazy compenys got off there asses and added support via firmware updates then.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have a full WPA network at my house. If your equipment supports it, I highly recommend WPA. WEP is easily cracked by any idiot with a laptop and a copy of airsnort.
    edited May 2005
    Theres a bit more to it then that prime, They need to make sure they don't buy a card based on a evil brodcom chipset.
    edited May 2005
    why? I've never heard anything wrong with broadcom :confused:
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Why havent the lazy compenys got off there asses and added support via firmware updates then.

Because it's not always just a firmware update.
    edited May 2005
    why? I've never heard anything wrong with broadcom :confused:
    There .... evil and do not have any linux drivers for there wi-fi cards.

I can't use mine on my debian box.

Thrax wrote:
    Because it's not always just a firmware update.

Why is there hardware too slow to process it :p .

A firmware update is a new revision of the os and or a new program revision on it.
    (for linux routers there powered by linux :) my linksys wrt54g has kernel 2.4)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I ONLY use MAC Filtering.... is this not good enough?
    edited May 2005
    Nope its not hard to spoof a mac address.
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    There .... evil and do not have any linux drivers for there wi-fi cards.

I can't use mine on my debian box

Why is there hardware too slow to process it :p .

A firmware update is a new revision of the os and or a new program revision on it.
    (for linux routers there powered by linux :) my linksys wrt54g has kernel 2.4)

Yes, many times, as is the case with early WiFi cards, the onboard chip that handles the WEP encryption is not sufficiently powerful to handle the cycling algorithm of WPA.

And furthermore, I don't need firmware defined for me. I know what it is.

Secondly, Broadcom makes some powerful and robust chips. Because they don't provide drivers for a market they never intended to penetrate is not their problem, nor grounds for the "Evil" moniker.
    edited May 2005
    Ok then I didn't relise it required much more power then wep

I defined because others may not know that it is.

And I love a fast chip but anything that will not even release any unix drivers for such a commen chip is evil.

Hence why there evil.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    wpa 128bit and ssid off. I use the filters as well but I don't think they're that effective unless you're trying to block a specific mac addy.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    I want to set security on my wireless, there's only my sons PS2 wireless gaming adapter using it. Linksys WGA and Linksys wireless-G, both PCs are wired. When I look under WPA it gives two options, WPA Pre-shared Key and WPA RADIUS, Which one do I choose? Does it matter?
    edited May 2005
    Well, the first question is, does the PS2 wireless adapter support WPA? If it does, you want WPA-PSK (Pre Shared Key). TKIP should be the authentication protocol.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2005
    Confusion. The PDF says use WPA if available but the specs say security is WEP. :scratch:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    If your hardware does not support WPA, or EAP or any of the newer, more secure authenitcation/encryption systems, don't worry. The simple act of enabling WEP would deter 95% of any prying individuals. Combine this with SSID broadcasts disabled, and 99% of the would-be hackers would not even know your network existed.

One thing I cant stress enough: Be sure to keep a sufficently complex password on your router. (for the HTTP interface). Never leave the Admin, Blank password, regardless of your wireless security.
    edited May 2005
    I recomend using a random password generator like this one
    http://www.winguides.com/security/password.php

I recomend a pass like this DO8pHoeg