deleting invalid entries in the add remove programs tool

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I did a search and tried to do what was listed:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool.
4. Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it at a later date.
5. Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire Uninstall key.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer visible.

I found a lot of other invalid entries and removed them... but the one I wanted to remove wasn't there. I looked everywhere for it. I didn't install it in the "program files" area, I installed in in :

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\Matthew

Also: in step 3 where it says to

"If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool."

there is no "viewable string" in the add/remove programs tool, there are no distinguishing features in the tool. The only info provided is the name, file size, & date last used

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    try using regcleaner and see if it will do it for ya.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    I have regcleaner and have used it already.