MCSE Training Kit Questions

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
I'm currently enrolled in a class called "Windows 2000 Services" and it was total garbage. The professor had this as a second job and basically showed up without a lesson plan at all, I didn't learn anything at all. The book I had for a previous Windows 2000 classes was of the Microsoft Press variety and included a 180 Day Windows 2000 Pro lab version so we could have hands-on. This new book isn't from Microsoft and it included a CD with.... a PDF copy of the book and some lame utilities.

So, I'll get credit for the class but I honestly couldn't go to a job saying I understand Windows 2000/2003 Server Administration which is something I would really like to do.

A guy I know recommends this Microsoft Press book for reference and I looked at it and its a pretty good guide, much better than this $50 waste of space the required us to buy for the class (and we never used) and this book is on sale at BN for like $17.

So anyway, I'll have my IST Certification in two weeks through my college and then I'll have to decide whether I want to go on to complete the Associate program or not. I currently have an FOA Cert. and I'm going for A+ as soon as I have the money to take the exams, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get that one as I know someone who is a tool and passed easily. I know a lot of people don't put too much value into the A+ certification but a lot of people need some sort of benchmark to prove you are competant.

I'd also like to go for MCSE and take the summer to learn the material. I was looking at a kit put out by MS that includes several manuals, evaluation software and a disc of sample test questions. It's $119, but, it's a lot of material for that price and I'm certain I'll learn more than I did from this class, and 120 bucks is the fraction of the cost.

Have any of you used any of these Microsoft manuals? Do you think that going through this "Self Paced Training Kit" is a good way to prepare for MCSE certification? Anybody who has taken the test, I'm curious how difficult it is, I've heard it's a tough one.

This is the particular kit I am looking at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735619530/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/002-3759984-7336068?v=glance&s=books

Any insight into any of this stuff is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited May 2005
    Definitly always go with the official really thick microsoft training books that is what I used and I understand everything that comes out of the book.

Go Microsoft
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    aaah...blinking text...and it messes up the forum. Your sig is evil incarnate.