Was it worth it?

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited May 2005 in Hardware
After reading all the great reveiws about the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard, I decieded to build a new system with my hard earned cash. I bought the motherboard and then bought the Athlon 64 3200+ winchester, an Enermax 470watt PS, 2 Western Digital serial drives, 1GB of Patroit DDR400 dual channel, the good stuff, And a Leadtek 6800GT and stuck it all in a Antec tower. The thing is, I do not see much differance between my new computer and my old computer that has a Abit KX7 333R, an Athlon 2000, 768 MB of generic memory PC2100 and a Gforce 4 4600. I did not do any overclocking on the new computer because I do not know how. But I would have though it would be faster. In fact some applications open slower on the new computer? It was a very big investment for me, about $1400 for all the parts. I am running XP Pro on both machines...Any advice?

PS the ht mutiplier is set at 5 and fsb is 200

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Get rid of the Core Center, if you installed it. It throttles your CPU back, among other things.

I bought the same board with a 3500+ and love it. I must admit that my upgrade was a much greater leap than yours.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited May 2005
    I did not install the core center, and I went with Avast this time instead of Norton anti virus, thought that would speed things up because Norton is a hog. Do you thing the ht multiplier is to low. If I had some numbers to try for overclocking, I might give it a go.
    edited May 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    ...Do you think the ht multiplier is too low...
    Mine's set on "1". With your ram you should have no trouble with that. I have a GB of Patriot ram myself, but had to settle for the cheaper stuff.

Have you run any benchmarks on both computers for comparison purposes?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited May 2005
    No I did not run any benchmarks, but I did notice tonight something good. I play line of sight everynight with friends. We just installed a new map which is very big. On my old computer it takes about one and a half minutes for me to free up when loading the map. On the new computer it takes 0 time. It loads in a mili second. Thats a good sign..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    That's similar to my experience.

Lots of tasks seemed about the same as usual, then every once in a while I'd go to run something and BLAM - it was right there. It's nice being able to load Photoshop 7 in a second or two, as opposed to the lengthy time it took on my old machine.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Wow. How old did you upgrade from?

(CS2 takes like, 15/20 seconds for me, with folding going. One or two... that's really snappy :eek: (unless it was a figure of speech... in which case nevermind ;D))
    edited May 2005
    Up until the first of the year, my main machine was an Abit KT7A-R with a T-Bird 1200 CPU in it. And yes, Photoshop 7 took nearly forever to load. :bawling:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited May 2005
    :thumbsup: Well all in all, I guess it was worth it. The more programs and games I put in the happier I get....Now to buy that Samsung 19 inch LCD with the 8 milli second responce time..... :thumbsup:
  • jef-pal106jef-pal106 Manila
    edited May 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    :thumbsup: Well all in all, I guess it was worth it. The more programs and games I put in the happier I get....Now to buy that Samsung 19 inch LCD with the 8 milli second responce time..... :thumbsup:

you do have a nice rig bro! try playing heavy games with anti aliasing... youll see the difference!
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Have you thought about selling that KX7? If so I'm very interested.