Considering NEC LCD1970GX-BK / Thoughts needed

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Hardware
As I am one of the last poor fools running a nice rig connected to a 17" so-so monitor I am thinking of upgrading the final piece to my puzzle. But I am puzzled as to which way to lean. I keep finding myself drawn to a NEC LCD1970GX-BK monitor everytime I am in Fry's. But at $549.00 w/ a $50.00 mail-in rebate it comes to $499.00 in the end. I like the looks, the image quality, the 8ms response and especially the optical glass screen. But will I just be better off waiting it out a few more years and get a refurb 21" Trinitron CRT from MerkorTech at 1/2 the price or less to tide me over? I know LCD's will just keep getting better and cheaper so do I just get a CRT for now or make the plunge and get one of these or is there something better for the same money?

PS:
I have a nice large desk so the size is not my issue. I just want a nice monitor that will stand up to a full array of uses.

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    You're not alone! :D I'm using CRT yet. I got a flat one for Christmas, but it's still CRT. Personally I don't see what the fuss about LCD is. Sure, it's smaller. ...so? That doesn't bother me. I don't get it... :scratch:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well I recently got an LCD for the first time and it was big improvement. The image quality is way better. A bit bright by default, but I'm too lazy to change it. They're light and afaik, they use less electricity. As for the $500 price tag, Newegg has a 19" Samsung for $365. Link.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    entropy wrote:
    You're not alone! :D I'm using CRT yet. I got a flat one for Christmas, but it's still CRT. Personally I don't see what the fuss about LCD is. Sure, it's smaller. ...so? That doesn't bother me. I don't get it... :scratch:
    I don't mind CRT but I have had this crappy 17" KDS for the past 4 1/2 years adn am in need of a new one. I think the new LCD's are more aesthetic but the CRT's are certainly more capable performance wise. I just don't know if it's worth dropping serious dime for ANY LCD yet. Especially since I do game and like image quality. But this NEC does look like it might be on the right track.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Man I just got a viewsonic va712b for about $250. It's 1280x1024 with 8ms response time, and it supports DVI. The picture kicks ass. I can't possibly use another CRT again for as long as I live. Total crap compared to LCDs.
    edited May 2005
    Has anyone else seen one of these NEC's w/ the glass? Or am I just hung up on something that will hurt more than help?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Larry, if you find an LCD you like, get it. Everyones opinion is going to be different on LCD's. I agree with Prime thou, I find it very hard to even turn on my CRT anymore.

I use an LG L1710s Flatron and love it btw.
    edited May 2005
    I really appreciate the input and have noticed the turn of the tide since last year. Last year when others asked I kept a close watch so as to keep up on the subject and concluded that most would rather keep the CRT's. Now it looks like the opposite is true. Wow! What a change in opinion from the voices here. If anyone gets a chance I would like to suggest they look at one of these NEC's in person as they have a unique look to them. I did a little more research and have found that the optical quality glass on the screen is actually treated to reduce glare and makes the screen more useable in bright sunlit situations.