upgrade for video editing

edited May 2005 in Hardware
My complex situation in a few words: Now I am in Japan, soon I will go to Bali where I will have to upgrade my computer to start video editing. I know little about computers and knew much less when I last was in Bali and therefore hardly know what I have got there: I do know that I do have a
pentium4 2,4 GH prozessor
a rather low level Radeon grafic card,
and a rather inferior motherboard ( a cheap soltek, I think )
I found out that there are no firewire/dv capture cards available in Bali. So I decided I rather should get a new motherboard which has firewire port included while in Japan.
Do you agree that this is the way to go?
In Bali the best motherboard I could get is the socalled: MSI 865PE Neo-2P
As far as I can tell this board does not include a firewire port. Is that so?
If so I better buy one here in Japan, and then better I go all the way and also get:
additional 512 RAM
an DVD writer
a 200GB or 250GB SATA HD
maybe a new video card.
There many questions arise:
If I buy motherboard/DVD burner/video card/HD here in Japan, will I have the problem that nobody in Bali will be able to install them because the installation information will be in Japanese only? If so, are there parts here in Japan which include the installation information in English also? Resp. which parts will not need any installation instructions at all? And is there any problem for Japan uses 110 Volt and Bali 220 Volt? Any other problems anybody sees if I buy parts here in Japan? To find people who will do the installation work in bali for little money will not be any problem.
If you give me the 'go' to buy my parts here, please recommend which parts to get:
If you recommend a board, which RAM will fit? ( I am confused about the different RAMs, and the board I have now has a 168 bit connection with an 256 RAM. Could I use that same RAM on the new board and simply add another 512 RAM? )
Anything else I must observe, e.g. HD should be 'SATA', DVD writer 'fast', etc.
I have got untill may 12th to find out!
Hope that anybody out there can advice me,
thank's a lot,
kuuan

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    1) Non Linear video editing does not require gobs of RAM though I would recommend a total of 1 GB (2 x 512MB)

2) Firewire on board is good.

3) I would reccomend 3 x hard drives. Why? One will hold the OS/Programs. The other two are to be put in RAID 0 configuration to store the video files. You want to have fast read/write capability to the drives when moving video around...plus gobs of space. (2 x 160 GB drives will be a good price point)

4) A DVD burner is good. Get the dual layer capable drive as the media will become more available in time. You always want to be able to archive your projects.

5) Read our Matrox RT.X10 Xtra Review to give you a good overview of a hardware device that could really help you and reasons why.

6) Go dual monitor. You'll really like the real estate. You do not need a high end gaming card for video editing. Video editing is 2D and not 3D based. Again...the Matrox P750 or P650 would be very good for this. A mid range nVidia or ATI card with dual monitor support would also suffice.

Hope this helps.
  • edited May 2005
    Thank's, it does help.
    No problems because of installation information may be in Japanese only?
    Though I understand that 2x160GB is a smart choice, why do you recommend 2 HD for videos? I thought of getting one 250GB HD and to keep my old 40GB for the OS and other smaller data.
    If having 2 HD and RAID0, which HDs and which motherboard must I get to insure RAID?
    I do have 2 small 2,5 inch HDs I carry around ( they are 4200 and 5400 RPM only, specifications here: http://www.xpcgear.com/fujitsu40gb.html and here: http://www.xpcgear.com/sammp0804h.html ). Would RAID also enable faster filetransport to those HDs which are connected via USB, resp. to the 40GB HD already installed?
    have a good day,
    kuuan