PRE-installed XP pro on drive put into a new build.

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Due to a major PSU blowout I had to upgrade my computer.

But as I have loads of work on the drives I need to be able to just slot them into the new machine and carry on where I left off. I have clients and money relying on this which is stupid but unfortunate.

But having rebuilt and turned it on, I get that all too familiar error of getting as far as mup.sys and then rebooting. I know its not the mup.sys thats at fault but my new hardware. If I boot in normal mode I get a quick blue screen/white text flash indictaing a hardware change but thats all i can read before it vanishes.

I've gone from AMD 1800, Asus AGP board, gforce ti200, 512SDRAM to
AMD64, Asus A8N PCI-E board, gforce 6600GT, 1GB DDR400.

So its quite a big difference. I've disabled all the USB slots and sound and basically done as much as I can as suggested on various sites. I can't go to the recovery console as I can't boot from the CD. Exactly the same thing happens. So for that matter I can't even seem to reinstall XP because it reboots before it gets that far. I CAN boot from other discs but I only get a command prompt. Maybe if I could access the registry from dos somehow I might be able to do something but I don't know what.

HEEELP!!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    You can't just swap all that hardware and expect XP to boot.

Put the harddrive in another computer, get the stuff you need off of it. Put it back in your computer and reinstall XP.
  • edited May 2005
    Well I'm knackered then. I've only one computer.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Well then your out of luck unless you go to a friends house to dump your data. ;D

Shows you to always back your data up on removeable media.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    put in another HDD into your system install xp, boot to it. Slave your old drive and get your data off.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Can you boot into Safe Mode?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    A repair install will suffice. You don't need to lose any data.

Can you get to the point where it will let you do a repair installation?
  • edited May 2005
    A repair install will suffice. You don't need to lose any data.

Can you get to the point where it will let you do a repair installation?

Thank you, prime, I was just going to post that. ;) A repair install should do the ticket just fine.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    If his old rig came with XP pre-installed he may not be able to do that.

MRBlobby, did you receive a "real" XP CD with the old computer, or a recovery CD with Windows embedded?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    He said he can't even reinstall because it reboots before it gets that far? So I assume he has a cd of some type right?

Can you elaborate on how far it gets?

Tex