Can two wireless routers connect to each other via wifi?

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
As the title says. I currently have a wireless dsl router and my upstairs neighbor is also getting one. We sometimes transfer small or big ass files and it's a pita to be burning to dvd/cd and we don't have a thumbdrive. Is there anyway they can connect to each other or create some sort of network (internet sharing isn't needed)?

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    It is possible to daisy chain two wireless access points if the manufacturer has enabled that functionality though the resulting network excludes the possibility of having more than one internet interface. In other words, both access points will be active but you'll only be using the internet connection from one of them (one access point is slaved into the other one.) This is the same as if you had two wired routers, turned off the DHCP server on one of them and connected it as a passive switch to the other one.

Since you live close to each other, a better solution would be to just switch networks manually in your PC's software anytime you want to access his LAN or vice versa. Windows automatically selects the wireless network with the greatest signal strength but you can override it quite easily.

-drasnor :fold:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    Since you live close to each other, a better solution would be to just switch networks manually in your PC's software anytime you want to access his LAN or vice versa. Windows automatically selects the wireless network with the greatest signal strength but you can override it quite easily.

The thing is that neither of us have a wifi card.

What option should I search for to be able to daisy chain?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Sorry, I inferred that you were running a wireless network when you said it was a wireless router. The name varies from manufacturer to manufacturer; my experience is with the 3com AP's and their technology is called Access Point Discovery.

If you have a wireless router now and you're hooked up to the wired switch on it, it would make more sense from a financial standpoint for your neighbor to just buy a WiFi card to connect to your router and use his wired router for a permanent internet connection but that's just my 2c.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1800HW and from what I can see, it has limited options. I can't see anything that looks like that feature.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2005
    why don't you just set up a ftp server? i have used bulletproofFTP in the past with great success. :)
    edited May 2005
    Because our uploads are only 128kbps and it would be a b!tch to transfer gigs of stuff.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2005
    i see, that's too bad....i have cablevision internet here and it is 10mb/1mb so i never even thought of upstream bandwidth limitations... :(