Compaq Presario Fan Speed

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I have a Compaq Presario SR (groan) with an Athlon 2400-ish CPU, stock fan and I put an extra blower in near the video card.

I have noticed that the Presario fan can run slow or fast, if I open up Motherboard Monitor, it can make the fan run pretty fast. I was wondering if there is any hack/trick to force the fan to run full-tilt boogie.

Also, I've heard that under normal non-overclocking conditions, the newer Athlons are pretty hardy even with stock cooling. Is this true? Are there any warning signs of overheating to keep an eye out for? My guess is that the system restarting on its own after running for awhile would be the big warning sign.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    I'm not sure about the Compaq, but you might be able to change the temps the fan speeds up in the system bios. I currently have an Asus board that is set to go full tilt at 45c. If you want let Motherboard Monitor run to monitor your temps for a while. I try to keep my Xp's under 50c full load (folding).

My wifes machine has a 2400 xp in it and the stock cooler is fine. I just make sure to keep the dust blown out as it is folding also.
    IMO in a non o.ced rig the stock coolers are fine. As far as being hardy, I haven't killed one yet.