Poor SCSI performance under Windows XP

edited November 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I recently moved my Windows Xp Pro install to a Seagate ST336753LW 15K drive, on an Adaptec 29320 controller. After installation, I decided to do some benchmarks with Sandra. The net result is that the read and write speeds of the drive seem very low (35 MB/s). I tried converting the drive to a dynamic disk (after seeing some posts here suggest that solution), but that did not seem to help.

Can anyone suggest a possible reason for the slow speeds, and maybe even a solution? Thanks very much.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Do you have SP2 installed?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Test real quick with ATTO. And post the results here. Change only the length of the test to 32mb.

Make sure you have write caching enabled.

If its just the wqrites that are low MS has a patch to boost the performance after SP2.

If its the reads and writes you got other probs.

On atto if you can test NEAR THE OUTSIDE RIM at all.. You should be able to hit 55 to 60,000. The farther you go in the worse it gets.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Test real quick with ATTO. And post the results here. Change only the length of the test to 32mb.

Make sure you have write caching enabled.

If its just the wqrites that are low MS has a patch to boost the performance after SP2.

If its the reads and writes you got other probs.

On atto if you can test NEAR THE OUTSIDE RIM at all.. You should be able to hit 55 to 60,000. The farther you go in the worse it gets.

Tex

I benchmarked using ATTO (is there a way to force it to test near the outer rim?). The results were in line with what sandra was telling me, around 37K for both read and write.

Also, yes I do have SP2 installed.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    So how full is the drive? If its 25 to 40 percent full or more your probably close to right on for the expected performance.

The STR on that drive isnt exactly killer to start with. It's two generations ago basicaly. Its STR is on par or only slightly higher then a Atlas 10k III. New state of the art drives are almost twice as fast.
  • edited November 2007
    I have the same adaptec host controller and I contacted support. I even RMA the controller.

I tested basically did everything possible with the settings, but still no results.

the performance on that host controlling using Raid 0 is worthless. I don't even think it supports Raid 0. I only had a max of like 32Mb/s or something close to that but when i run a single drive it works perfect.