DFI LanParty + Sound Card

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Im going to buy a new computer next week, but there's a little detail i want to know before this day come...

It's been almost 5 long years since i ever look at a computer piece for buying it ;) Im going to take a DFI Lan party Motherboard but with what i read about it it seems that there's some kind of sound device "included" in it.

The fact is that i want to have a great sound quality so im also planing to get my hands on a Sound Blaster Audigy card or something like that. What does the sound device on this motherboard ? Can i put a sound card without problem and is there some kind of way to desactivate the use of this device in the bios ? On what i've read the quality of this device is not the best on the world...

I know the answer will surely be yes and maybe it's a dump question but i just want to be sure ;) If you can explain me what is the real role of this device (does it replace a sound card ?) i'll be happy to hear from you guys.

BTW if this replace the use of a soundcard, do you (if it's possible by desactivating the device) recommand me to buy a sound card, if yes... Wich sound card do you recommand me for best sound quality in game ?

Thankx

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    To answer your question yes you can disable the "onboard sound" from withing the BIOS. The care I would recommend to purchase would have to be this Sound Blaster Audigy 2 if it's within your budget. What are you going to be doing with your pc? Gaming? Just surfing the net?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I love the sound from the Karajan Audio Module that came with my DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D! :thumbsup: I actually like it better than my previous Soundstorm audio, which was touted as top shelf. It is a little box that contains all the audio componants so as to reduce cross-talk w/ other board componants and traces. I would recomend at least trying it as it is high quality 7.1 audio. If you don't like it then you can not only disable it in bios but you can also physically remove the module from the motherboard and the board will have no audio solution onboard at all!

Look at the pic. The audio module goes just to the left (or above) the 2 USB and 1394 ports.
    BoxBack&Board.jpg
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    The sound is quite good on the DFI NF4. My only complaint was (when moving from NF2 to NF4), was that there was no dolby digital encoding on the SPDIF output. This feature is pretty unique to soundstorm, but it made the NF2 match up beautifully with my Z680 speakers. Minor complaint though, overall the sound is quite good.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2005
    Thank you all.

I think that'll try my system with the sound device of the DFI LAN PARTY. Then if i found that it can definitively be better i'll buy a Sound blaster Audigy 2. If i don't virtually see any difference i'll save many bucks here because the Audigy 2 i not a cheap thing ;)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    GooD wrote:
    Thank you all.

I think that'll try my system with the sound device of the DFI LAN PARTY. Then if i found that it can definitively be better i'll buy a Sound blaster Audigy 2. If i don't virtually see any difference i'll save many bucks here because the Audigy 2 i not a cheap thing ;)
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised! :cool: