ABIT KV7 SATA woes

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi,

I have just added a samsung 120GB SATA drive to my KV7.
Now, all is fine and dandy when I boot from my IDE drive.

I have loaded the SATA drivers and partitioned and formatted the SATA drive
from disk management in XP with no problems and can read and write to the thing.

Now I want to do a clean XP install onto the SATA drive.
I removed the old IDE drive, booted the XP CD, inserted the SATA drivers floppy when requested, chose the c: partition of the drive, watched the setup process copy all of its required stuff to the partition and then reboot.

Well, thats as far as it goes. The PC wont boot up cos it says it cant find a bootable disk.

I have seen another similar thread on these forums and the solution there was to enable onchip SATA device in the 'integrated periperals->onchip IDE device' sub-menu.

Well, I have version 1.8 of the BIOS and I dont appear to have this option :(
The only SATA option i can find anywhere is to do with SATA raid BIOS and I don't want that (although if enabled, it can actually see my drive).

I also saw some post regarding not having either USB keyboard or mouse set to bios. mine are both set to OS.

I am baffled.

How is it I can see it perfectly happily when booted from an IDE drive and also when XP setup is running, but the drive cannot be seen at all by the BIOS (I've never even seen mention of the drive on the boot screen).

Help please :confused:

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Go to your bios and tell it to boot from the sata drive( set it to higher in the harddrive boot order)
  • edited May 2005
    Like I said, "The only SATA option i can find anywhere is to do with SATA raid BIOS".

I dont have a RAID, just a single SATA.

And even if there was an option for SATA in the boot order, it shouldn't matter what priority it is, it should still boot since there is nothing else higher up to boot from.(already said I removed the IDE drive)