1gb vs 512mb

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited May 2005 in Hardware
What is the performance difference between 1-gig of pc-3200 and 512mb of pc-3200. How much faster will a computer run on a gig rather than half?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well, it depends.

RAM doesn't make computers faster. RAM is temporary storage space for programs to use to access data very quickly (much quicker than accessing it from the hard drive).

If you are doing many things, or things that require a lot of temporary storage space (such as high end gaming, photoshop work, or video editing), you will use up your ram very quickly and then the programs will need to use the hard drive for temporary storage (this is referred to as swap space, or paging file).. As you can imagine, this is where the computer gets clunky. When you've used up your ram, and you are using swap space, the computer can slow to a crawl. Adding more ram alleviates the problem, and allows the computer to work its best.

The question becomes: Does your computer work well with 512? or does it slow to a crawl when you have too many programs open? If it does, it's time for a gig of ram.
  • edited May 2005
    I have 512mb of RAM and I run Adobe AfterAffects and it is very slow is that because of my ram or no stand alone video card. :scratch:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    It could be due to many things .. the reality is video editing software requires:
    1) Reasonable-Large amounts of memory
    2) High memory bandwidth
    3) Fast / high bandwidth hard-drive access
    4) CPU power

Your integrated video will hurt you as it probably sucks up some of your ram, memory bandwidth and processing power, but even with a dedicated card it could still be slow. What are your specs?
  • edited May 2005
    Well you can get a crucial 512mb pc3200 for only £35 on crucials on website at the moment.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I use a 1GB of my desktop machine as I have lots of stuff open and running and 2GB on my server (divided into virtual machines) :)

Upgrading my RAM on both machines did make a performance difference to setup but your results may vary depending on what you do with your machine :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Is it just slow rendering? I'm a big fan of After Effects, but if rendering time is slow then that's just your processor. Though memory will help with working with the file, and possibly speed up render time compairably as well. Of course as you should know, the more you have in your AE file to do the longer it takes to render it, such as having multiple effects, especially if it's a procedural effect like clouds, lightning, or others.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    Moving from 512MB to 1GB on my Athlon XP system made a very noticable improvement in some of the latest games (HL2, Doom3 etc). Loading times were cut in half, and overall gameplay smoothed out.

Ram is an important component in you system, however it can only help so much. I would definatly look for a dedicated graphics card as well, as you don't want to be 'sharing' your main memory with other components. Does not need to be anything fancy, even a Radeon 9200 would be an improvement.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Since RAM is so inexpensive now and upgrading from 512 MB to 1024 MB has such a dramatic improvement on overall system operation, I second Mr. Lime's recommendation. I upgraded my son's desktop to a Gig of RAM for $90 and it gave the machine new life. Now, if you are only doing web surfing, word procssing, and email, then the effect will not be nearly as dramatic.
  • edited May 2005
    3ghz Pentium 4
    512 ddr2 RAM
    128 mb Integrated Graphics Card
    40 gb Western digital HDD
    160 gb Seagate Drive
    3port Firewire Card
    10/100/1000 Gigabyte ethernet card
    Mad dog USB 2.0 16x DVD -+R/RW ddrive :thumbsup:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    If you're using 128 MB for your integrated graphics (you can probably set it lower and see the same graphics performance) then you definitely need another 512 MB stick just for medium level multitasking (lots of small memory footprint programs open).

I would try setting your video memory to 32 or 64 MB and see if that frees up enough for your general work. If not then I say go for the 1 GB. I've had a GB on my laptop for over 2 years and I can't stand working on anything less than ~700 MB of ram now. I'm looking at upgrading to 1.5 GB as well :/
  • edited May 2005
    When upgrading your RAM do you have to upgrade to with the same size RAM or can you go my 512 plus a 1gb stick :scratch:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited May 2005
    you can use different sizes, but the speed will have to be the same.
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If you do use different sizes, try to use at least the same brand. sometimes mixing brands is a bad idea.
  • edited May 2005
    alright I will please check my SVT thread there is a weird problem going on with my computer maybe that is why the 512 doesnt fill like 512 its the One about reload and everything changed one.

:D
  • edited May 2005
    Also check how many slots your motherboard has i.e. if you have 3 slots then you have 6 banks, if you use single sided ram as in the memory chips are on one side then that uses 1 bank, each memory slot is 2 banks if you use for example double sided ram that takes up 2 banks so in fact you could have double sided 512mb modules times 3 slots but in most cases you should be fine lol :)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    Another thing to keep in mind as well: Many platforms utilize 'dual channel' memory, so you need to pair up identical sticks to have this capability. A64 939 systems are a good example.
  • edited May 2005
    You dont need a 64 type board older boards use Dual Channel as well I have an Abit AN7 board and wont be upgrading for a while especially as AMD will be releasing Dual Core 64bit CPU's soon.
  • edited May 2005
    Also check how many slots your motherboard has i.e. if you have 3 slots then you have 6 banks, if you use single sided ram as in the memory chips are on one side then that uses 1 bank, each memory slot is 2 banks if you use for example double sided ram that takes up 2 banks so in fact you could have double sided 512mb modules times 3 slots but in most cases you should be fine lol :)

??? :scratch:
  • edited May 2005
    Sorry I have confused the situation lol!
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    I think it's more a case of punctuation would really help get your ideas across.

Flint