OMG!!!! 9800PRO more powerful than FX5900ultra!!

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I cant believe this I used to have a Radeon 9800pro 128mb graphics card and sold it and went out and bought an Nvidia FX5900ultra 256mb card instead as I prefer Nvidia but doing benchmarks using the latest full version of 3Dmark05 I am only getting around 1399 score on OC settings whereas my radeon on normal was getting over 2500!!! whats going on!!

Can someone please help!! I noticed that other people are also getting around the same scores!

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Benchmarks don't always mean much.
    From what I've read the 9800pro outperforms the 6600gt in most benchies but not in most real world games and apps.

I think the 9800pro has a higher clock speed and mem.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    That is abso;utely correct. The 5900 Ultra is not the card the 9800 Pro is. What more is that the Radeon is even better in real life gaming than in synthetic benchmarks. Could it be possible that you intended to purchase an Nvidia 6800GT or 6800 Ultra? Either one of these would knock a 9800 Pro on its lips and send it packing but is a bit more money. For about the same amount of money the Nvidia 6600GT is slightly better than 9800 Pro. If it's less than 30 days since purchasing your 5900 Ultra You could likely return it for exchance on a 6600GT or any of the 6800 series.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    6600gt = 128bit
    6800gt = 256bit ...if you have the $$$ go here or consider the 800xl

listen to that old goat!!! ;D
  • edited May 2005
    Well I cant believe this then *sigh* no I bought the FX5900ultra from ebay for £86 I didnt want to pay for a high end card cos I normally play on my xbox. Oh well all I am playing at the moment is Guild Wars lol.

So how comes the core and gpu clock speeds on my FX5900ultra are much higher than a Radeon 9800pro but still has a lot less on the benchmark whats causing this??
  • edited May 2005
    Another thing is it seems my graphics card is running on silent mode??? I notice that when I restart my PC and it boots back up the graphics card goes loud like a turbo then goes silent again, I have a creative card any help on this please?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    It's just throttling the fan to full speed when you first turn it on, then once the temperature sensor picks up the current temp, it drops the speed to what's necessary for the temperature at which it is running.
  • edited May 2005
    Oh cool, so when the card gets hotter the fan starts to run faster? nice! Shame that my old radeon floored the poor nvidia card that i have now on benchmarks :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Yeah I hate to say it but you just bought a downgrade :(
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    I cant believe this I used to have a Radeon 9800pro 128mb graphics card and sold it and went out and bought an Nvidia FX5900ultra 256mb card instead as I prefer Nvidia but doing benchmarks using the latest full version of 3Dmark05 I am only getting around 1399 score on OC settings whereas my radeon on normal was getting over 2500!!! whats going on!!

Can someone please help!! I noticed that other people are also getting around the same scores!

The fx5900 was FAR worse in direct X 9 hence why hl2 forced it into dx 8 it became a slide show.

Well I cant believe this then *sigh* no I bought the FX5900ultra from ebay for £86 I didnt want to pay for a high end card cos I normally play on my xbox. Oh well all I am playing at the moment is Guild Wars lol.

So how comes the core and gpu clock speeds on my FX5900ultra are much higher than a Radeon 9800pro but still has a lot less on the benchmark whats causing this??
    Ati is more effcient then nvidia (think of nvidia like intel and ati like amd)
  • edited May 2005
    I have purchased Half life 2 and am awaiting the game, will my card work well with the game?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    It will work pretty good on medium/high settings, but not the maximum settings.
    edited May 2005
    Yes but they force a lower hardware direct X level on the video card. (lowers effects (such as water smoke,ect) draw distance and the textures a bit.)

You should have stuck with your ati It would give you better framerate and higher quality.

Btw: If you want a slide show for hl2s frame rate and turn it to direct X 9 type mat_dxlevel 90 in the console
  • edited May 2005
    So the FX5900ultra isnt really optimised for HL2 then? Oh well...is there a way to change this i.e. to speed my card up or something or to change some settings in the registery?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    So the FX5900ultra isnt really optimised for HL2 then? Oh well...is there a way to change this i.e. to speed my card up or something or to change some settings in the registery?
    You can overclock it and you can even get new drivers or a patch for it but it will still be slower than a 9800 Pro and not be optomised for DX9. Sorry :(
    edited May 2005
    Best idea would be put it back on ebay (I highly doute anyone will pay as much as you did tho ;D ) Get a radeon 9800 pro again or nvidia 6600gt (or if you wana spend a little more a x800xl)
  • edited May 2005
    WARNING X800XL PLUG: the x800xl is great, i have hl2 and far cry on all maximum settings and they play flawlessly. it cost me 300 but well worth it.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    any of the x8xx series card will work wornderfully. x800pro would not be a bad choice for the money, then again the nVidia cards in the same price range are a little faster. Perhaps just save some money and get the x800xl? Sell the 5900 though