SM23 definitely back on track

TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
Back while I was dealing with SM23's mobo problems, I checked all other components and ran tests. This is included the ram which is 2 X 256 DDR and memtest reported 0 errors after 9 passings. As you all know I replaced the motherboard last weekend, SM23 had seemingly been folding steady with 0 lockups whatsoever, w00t!

So lastnight I check the log files and turns out that whenever I would get a Gromacs, the WU would fail after 60 steps. I'm like wtf!?!? So I run another memtest and the errors were constant. 1 stick of 256 had bit the dust sometime within the last month leading up to waiting for the new mobo. I'm not sure if those two blown circuits had anything to do with this or not. :(

SM23 is only using 256MB right now but it's folding rock- steady and is currently at step 66 of a GRO WU, which is farther than it's been able to get in the last week. Luckily, RAM is very cheap right now, $30 reduction in price in the last month so I'm going to pick up another 512MB for my main machine and take out a 256 stick and install it in SM23. :)

Right now SM23 is set to only accept smaller units because of the lack of RAM but once I get her back up to 512MB, it's full speed ahead. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I'm going to have to replace the HS/F if I want to o/c to 166FSB. Temps are too high and the computer reboots. This time though, we didn't lose the work which we would have normally. So for now it's running stock at 1533Mhz. Once I replace that, it will be folding at almost 2Ghz. :)

Bottom line here is that SM23 will definitely be consistent from here on out. :)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    ...Bottom line here is that SM23 will definitely be consistent from here on out. :)
    So why scare us half to death with the ominous thread title? ;D

Thanks for your persistent troubleshooting. I know this rig was banged around pretty good during shipping. It is remarkable that you've been able to keep it going this well with all the problems you've encountered. If you need help with parts, etc, you know who to call. :)

primesuspect!!!!!!!
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Haha, yes, I'll change the title of the thread. ;D

The Team is off the hook for this one so no worries about supplying parts at all. :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    That's awesome, tbonz. Sm23 has found a very happy home :D