Motherboard Manufacturers

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited June 2005 in Hardware
Could somebody compile a good list of all or most of the motherboard manufacturers whos products are available in the USA and aren't crap.

I want this because I want to check out what everyone's got and I never seem to be able to remember a lot of brands.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Motherboards top 10 edit: errr change that to top 8
    (Keep in mind this is my oppinion don't flame me if your is diffrent :p )
    1.Tyan (never seen a dead one)
    2.Asus (seen very few dead ones all over relieable and fast boards)
    3.DFI (fast boards newer ones are relieable)
    4.Albatron (relieable)
    5.Msi (fast and fairly relieable)
    6.Epox (fairly relieable but not so fast)
    7.Abit (not so relieable but very fast)
    8.Asrock (if you gota go value *there owned by asus* there relieable and cheep)

Brands to avoid
    1.Pc Chips (havent seen a live one)
    2.Forgot the brand model T (computer store in whitby) computers uses it in there machines
    3.Ecs (Better the pc chips same compeny tho ...)
  • edited May 2005
    Heh, the only fault I see with your top 10 is it reaches 8...

I like Chaintech but their new lines are uninspiring, that said the socket 478 875 based board the 9CJ-S Zenith roxors my boxors and the socket A NF2-400 based Zenith also kicks butt.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Tyan, Asus, and MSI for dual CPU systems.

Asus, MSI, Abit, DFI, and maybe Epox for single CPU systems.

ECS for a FAH machine only. I wouldnt buy albatron, asrock, pc chips, gigabyte, chaintch, or soyo for a system of mine.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    2+ CPUs:
    1. Tyan
    2. MSI
    3. ASUS

Single CPU, no overclocking:
    1. ASUS
    2. MSI
    3. Abit

Single CPU, overclocking:
    1. DFI
    2. ABIT
    3. ASUS

What I will never buy:
    1. PC Chips
    2. Gigabyte
    3. Chaintech
    4. Asrock
    5. Soyo
  • edited May 2005
    You 2 can diss Chaintech all you want, other than a few niggling issues with mine which can be laid solely at the feet of Corsair Micro and my trying to boot the poor thing with the NB HSF removed (it actually did run for a few seconds that way too, don't ask) my Zenith has been good as gold and OC's as well as any ASUS and better than the Abit board I had this very same CPU in.

If faced with buying another socket 478 board I'd either choose a DFI 875 PRO B or another Zenith and likely would get the Zenith because DFI's halloween color scheme really doesn't tickle my fancy at all.

I really don't understand what this aversion you have to Chaintech boards is based on, ever own one? :shakehead
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    well, i think we all can agree soyo = you are stupida! :eek: Soyo... :shakehead

but do most people put asus at the tops of their lists? I've had nothing with bad luck with mine, it's rma'd for the 3rd time now. Of course I havn't had experience with any other models, but 4 boards tend to stand out on me.

Also, do you guys and gals know if the support is based in the U.S. for the brands you like? I hate it when support is in China. Just go to www.asus.com and you can obviously tell the site was not made in the U.S.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited May 2005
    They all have US version of their websites. They even have links to them on the websites.

For example:
    ABIT's US office: www.abit-usa.com
    ASUS's main www.asus.com.tw will give you links to their various overseas offices.
    http://usa.asus.com/index.htm for their US office

and yes, they do have support in the US... ASUS for example:
    ASUS COMPUTER INTERNATIONAL (America)

Technical Support
    Motherboard and General Product Support :
    Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
    Tel: 502-995-0883 (select option 3)
    Fax: 502-933-8713

Notebook Support:
    Notebook ONLY Hotline: 510-739-3777 ext. 5110

PDA Support:
    PDA ONLY Hotline: 1-866-732-7108

Server Support:
    Tel: 510-791-3700
    Fax: 510-797-2102

RMA Support:
    E-mail: rma@asus.com
    Tel: 510-739-3777 (select option 3)
    Fax: 510-608-4511
    edited May 2005
    madmat wrote:
    Heh, the only fault I see with your top 10 is it reaches 8...

I like Chaintech but their new lines are uninspiring, that said the socket 478 875 based board the 9CJ-S Zenith roxors my boxors and the socket A NF2-400 based Zenith also kicks butt.
    Yah kinda couldn't think of another 2 brands I would ever use in a rig :rolleyes: .
    Thrax wrote:
    2+ CPUs:
    1. Tyan
    2. MSI
    3. ASUS

1. ASUS
    2. MSI
    3. Abit

1. DFI
    2. ABIT
    3. ASUS

What I will never buy:
    1. PC Chips
    2. Gigabyte
    3. Chaintech
    4. Asrock
    5. Soyo

I agree with everything there but asrock :S
    I have 2 machines powered by them both going strong 2 years and Ive never really seen a dead asrock and ges put a ton of them in value machines (Before we decided to cut the price and downgrade to ecs)

D00D wrote:
    but do most people put asus at the tops of their lists? I've had nothing with bad luck with mine, it's rma'd for the 3rd time now. Of course I havn't had experience with any other models, but 4 boards tend to stand out on me.
    Ive never had a issue with there boards Or seen someone with a issue (well other then that guy who keep blowing his usb on his boards here on sm)
    Also asus's rma department is great :)

I sent in a asus a7n8x-x because the board was a rev 1 and was dusty so they sent me a new one rev 2 :D (Yes I am a big abuser of rma's :D)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    I sent in a asus a7n8x-x because the board was a rev 1 and was dusty so they sent me a new one rev 2 :D (Yes I am a big abuser of rma's :D)

Ah, how would we survive if the companies followed the hard drive companies? I don't even want to think about it. :werr:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Not every manufacturer I included makes bad products. Some of them on my "Five I will never buy" are there simply because every scenario in which I would need a board (Stability, overclocking, SMP...) there's something undeniably superior than one of those products.

For example, I would never buy a Chaintech.. Not because they're bad, but because DFI and Abit would probably do the job better.
  • edited May 2005
    Trust me, the IS7 versus the 9CJ-S, Abit did much worse, had 'em both. That was enough there to steer me away from Abit as a first or even second choice for P4 boards, that and the reported issues with the vDIMM on the IC7 Max3 really lowered my opinion of Abit, by a large margin.

ASUS makes excelent boards although for a long time they were fugly as sin, I think they've finally (thank God) caught on that looks do matter somewhat to prospective mobo buyers.

MSI, I just have never been terribly impressed with them, what they could acheive OC wise an ASUS would trump it even without as many bells and whistles in the bios. Never really impressed me although their socket 939 NF3 Ultra board looks to be a nice comeback for them.

Back to the matter at hand, 2003 was a banner year for Chaintech, their motherboards looked hot, ran like stink (in a good way) and had a killer loadout of accessories, lately they're just blah.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited May 2005
    how do you guys feel about chaintech motherboards?
    edited May 2005
    I feal there ... Genaric nothing special but nothing bad. There rma service is a bit of a pain but not much there products are ok.
  • edited May 2005
    I tell you what turns me off about Chaintech; their tech support absolutely sucks donkey balls. I have a dead Chaintech dually board I'm presently trying to find out if it is still under warrantee and I can't get an answer from them. I've gone to their site and used their crappy tech support form to ask and also sent an email to them and after a week I still have no answer. :mad: Also, the so-called manual that came with this workstation class mobo was the abolute ****ing pits, about 4 pages long. :rolleyes:

Madmat, I'm glad you have been having a good experience with your Chaintech boards; I just hope that you don't need to talk to their tech support bunch in the future.
    edited May 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I tell you what turns me off about Chaintech; their tech support absolutely sucks donkey balls. I have a dead Chaintech dually board I'm presently trying to find out if it is still under warrantee and I can't get an answer from them. I've gone to their site and used their crappy tech support form to ask and also sent an email to them and after a week I still have no answer. :mad: Also, the so-called manual that came with this workstation class mobo was the abolute ****ing pits, about 4 pages long. :rolleyes:

Madmat, I'm glad you have been having a good experience with your Chaintech boards; I just hope that you don't need to talk to their tech support bunch in the future.
    You call there rma service a pain try dealing with pc chips rma service ;D
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited May 2005
    Are they better than ecs or pc chips?
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited May 2005
    i've got an ABIt nf 7 s that went to abit 4/5. as of 5/17 they "have not receieved it, won't answer the phone, won't call back, but automated emails say they will get back shortly ( shortly may be by the end of next year(. They may make a hot boards but if its in the shop it ain't so hot.
    or is there something I forgot to do other than pay them twice?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    2+ CPUs:
    1. Tyan
    2. MSI
    3. ASUS

1. ASUS
    2. MSI
    3. Abit

1. DFI
    2. ABIT
    3. ASUS

What I will never buy:
    1. PC Chips
    2. Gigabyte
    3. Chaintech
    4. Asrock
    5. Soyo

Scary when you and I agree so amazingly close on a post with so many variables. I might shuffle the ranking but the members on each list are close.

For 2 cpu rigs you gotta chunk supermicro and Intel in for the xeon boards. Super stable. No OC'ing but they are both some of the most STABLE and well supported 2 cpu rigs made in the world. And yes I have used them all at this point it seems. (long sigh...)

Tex
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    2+ CPUs:
    1. Tyan
    2. MSI
    3. ASUS

1. ASUS
    2. MSI
    3. Abit

1. DFI
    2. ABIT
    3. ASUS

What I will never buy:
    1. PC Chips
    2. Gigabyte
    3. Chaintech
    4. Asrock
    5. Soyo

I agree almost to the letter here with Thrax, except that I did buy a Chaintech board for my Micro-ATX machine. The reviews were a lot higher for it than for the micro-atx offerings from the 'good' brands in the nForce2 boards they had. I don't regret it. I do regret buying the Chaintech 7.1ch sound card I put in the machine just a little bit, though - for driver reasons. But not I'm way o/t.

Anyway, Good thread!
  • edited May 2005
    muddocktor wrote:

I guess you don't remember me sending my Zenith back in late December or early January. Here's a tip for you, call them. I called them, got my RMA number, sent my board in and had a new board sitting in my hands 11 days later.

Personally I almost never use web forms to do anything and if they ask me "Can you email us?" when I call I'll laugh at them and say "I wish I could but my PC's dead, that's why I'm not online." and that usually shuts 'em up.

I've dealt with Asus RMA dept. via email one time, in reference to my $500 5900U that died on me over a year ago and I still haven't heard a peep out of them but thankfully newegg took care of the matter instead although they did pro-rate the card and gave me a card worth 70% of what I paid for the Asus.

My advice to you mudd is to call Chaintech and talk to a customer service rep. If you need it I have the number scrawled down in my manual (which incedentially is 86 pages long).
  • bajbaj Barbados
    edited June 2005
    Interesting thread. I have had two Gigabyte boards and one Abit and i can't say that i've ever had a single issue them. The first one was the Abit which was a VA6; that's still ticking along very nicely with a 733MHz P3. I gave that system to my brother and built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-7DXR and a 1.2GHz Thunderbird... that eventually died thanks to corrosion (don't ask) so i wouldn't say that the board was at fault. It ran flawlessly the entire time i had it.

Now the system i'm using has a GA-7N400 Pro2 in it and it's been running non-stop now for over a year and a half. I've tried overclocking it once or twice without any luck, but that's no big deal. I prefer to run it stock speed anyways.

Why is that so many people here dislike Gigabyte though? I have used quite a lot of systems with their boards in them and i have been quite impressed with their performance.

I also have another system here with an MSI board in it (Celeron 1.4GHz), but i havn't had it long enough to pass judgement on it. It seems to be running fine though.

baj
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Because a bunch of their boards have had serious flaws and the onboard promise raid controllers are maybe the worst implementation by any MB manufacture ever.

Tex