Question about a message I'm getting...

WeedoWeedo New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
...while formatting a harddrive. Several times during the format it paused with the message 'Trying to recover allocation unit'. Anyone know what this means? The format continues normally after a few seconds but I still wonder if the HD is going bad. I've never seen this message before.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    BAD SECTORS !

Back up your data get a new drive and put that one on ebay (state that it may have a bad sector or 2) would be my recomendation.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Backup your data and run a thorough scandisk.
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited May 2005
    The disk had a non-dos partition on it and nothing else. I fdisked it and formatted it. I'll scandisk it also. Thanks.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    what is a bad sector? cant windows jus pick that up and fix it?? defrag/scandisk?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    wrote:
    A portion of a disk that cannot be used because it is flawed. When you format a disk, the operating system identifies any bad sectors on the disk and marks them so they will not be used. If a sector that already contains data becomes damaged, you will need special software to recover the data.

It’s not unusual for a hard disk to leave the manufacturing process with a damaged sector; however, this does not affect the overall performance of the disk as the damaged space is considered unusable.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    In my experence when a drive devlops bad sectors its goina die soon. (happened to 2 crappy samsung drives)