cpu wont boot in normal mode

tmacktmack strong island NY
edited May 2005 in Hardware
someone please help i dont know a whole lot about computers but i know a little my pc built by my cousin has been working fine i did a reset a little while ago and the computer wont full boot up it gets to the windows xp screen when the mouse and desktop would normally come on my monitor shuts down as if the cpu is being turned off i can run it in safemode i even tried the last known configuration that worked and that even didnt work last time this happend my cousin reset the bios but i donk know if thats the problem again any help is greatly appreciated thanks tom any specs needed ill do my best to try and find

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Give us some details about your computer, especially what brand of Motherboard you have.

When you say your cousin "reset the bios", was that before or after your troubles began?

Lastly, when you say "my monitor shuts down as if the cpu is being turned off" do you mean the screen just goes dark? Or does the whole works shut down?

I know that's a lot of questions, but once we know a little more about what's going on we'll be better able to help you. :)
  • tmacktmack strong island NY
    edited May 2005
    its an asus motherboard i was having a silimar problem but before the computer wouldnt boot at all so he told me he had to reset the bios this was a wile ago with no problems since after the computer load xp normally when the mouse pointer and desktop would load my monitor displays off in 3 seconds as if the computer was going into standby i hope this is enough info if you need anymore ill do my best
  • edited May 2005
    Try this, at the point where windows starts to load (where you can hit F8 to get into safe mode) hit F8 and instead of safe mode choose "boot into VGA mode" and try that, it sounds to me like windows is trying to set either your resolution or refresh rate to a setting your monitor can't display causing the monitor to just shut down rather than burn up.

I've seen this happen more than once with xp especially when going from one monitor to another one. Like for instance from a loaner at a lan party back to the monitor at home or if windows suddenly shut down during a task that was changing either your resolution or refresh rate.

If that doesn't help you could try a system restore in safe mode to like a week ago and see if that helps.
  • tmacktmack strong island NY
    edited May 2005
    i cant believe it was that simple i feel so stupid but you saved me big time thankyou this place is great nothing but great help thanks again tom
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    That one's going onto my troubleshooting check-off list, Matt. Talk about a quick fix. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks, chalk it up to blind luck the first time it happened to me...went to a lan party and borrowed a monitor with an insanely high refresh rate (like 200+) then hooked my PC back up to my 10 year old Sony and it did the same thing so that's how I figured it out. From there I've had to "fix" customer's PC's with the same problem so I know mine wasn't an isolated incident.

It is a good thing to check though, you'd be surprised the number of times I've heard "My video card died" only to find out that was the problem, heh, the lovely world of winderz...9X always discovered that you had a new monitor and adjusted accordingly, XP assumes you're never going to swap a monitor (I guess) and doesn't bother to check.

Go figure. :scratch:
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    That one's going onto my troubleshooting check-off list, Matt. Talk about a quick fix. :thumbsup:

Hey Prof,
    If you do have a physical check-off list, would I be able to get a copy?????

Would you consider posting the list in a sticky thread??

Cheers

Siggy