Would you go with 6600GT or 9800pro?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I'd just like everyone's opinon here. Which is the better card? a 6600GT or 9800pro? It would be a 128mb. I'm guessing that most of you are going to say 6600gt, but I'm just not sure. Thanks!

Comments

• RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited May 2005
    damn man, i thought i was bad. you just made about 5 posts in a few minutes :shakehead
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    haha ok..
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    My vote is dead in tied

The 6600gt is a bit better then the 9800pro but its more money and if your goina be playing hl2 slightly worse.

But for doom 3 the 6600gt rapes the 9800pro.
  • Lord_NightLord_Night Piqua Ohio
    edited May 2005
    For me the 6600GT....

course I may be a bit biased..
    since I hate ATI and will not use any of there products.

;D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    6600GT, because it's more future-proofed than the 9800 and pretty much the same card otherwise.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I'm with Grayfox and say tied as each will do better on different things. The 9800 Pro is clocked higher but the 6600GT is technically ahead of the 9800. If it were me I would look into saving a few more dimes and look into a 6800 of some flavor. Some of the non-GT's can be unlocked and beat the crap out of both cards you picked!

I don't know if it can be unlocked but this XFX Geforce 6800 is avery nice card for $199.

teh old goat
    edited May 2005
    Or he could get this x800se http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102431R

Then flash a pro bios (non vivo bios is needed becuase that card has 2ns samsung ram)
    edited May 2005
    thanks for all the input.

first off, i'll be playing gamed like counter strike: source, nba live 2005, tony hawk underground 2, swat4, americas army, and need for speed underground 2.

second, i'd rather not pay more than about $120-$150.
    edited May 2005
    Those all use direct X 9 so the 9800pro would probably be a better buy. (less money and the same proformence and/or better in other tests)

Edit: just make sure its a 256bit radeon 9800 pro

Edit: like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362
    edited May 2005
    hmm.. yeah i do like that card, but would I run into problems switching from my current card (nVIDIA MX440 64mb) to an ATI?

ALSO- i noticed on the 9800pro (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362), that it says "Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher". I have a 2.5ghz Celeron.
    edited May 2005
    As long as you have a agp port thats 4X or higher this wont be a problem.

And there should be no problem upgrading just uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the ati drivers.

Also I belive that has the r360 so you could flash it to a 9800 xt well as long as it has samsung ram too.

Edit: nvm that has hynx let me fine one with samsung for you the samsung overclocks better :)

heres a samsung
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102281

edit: Not sure if thats a r360 or not but its 256bit and has samsung ram :)
    edited May 2005
    well.. i jus wanna keep the card stock- i dont wanna flash it or OC it or anything. im jus not ready for that
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    Lord_Night wrote:
    For me the 6600GT....

course I may be a bit biased..
    since I hate ATI and will not use any of there products.

;D
    i agree, i have never like ATI I have had to many disapointments with there cards..i have a apollo 6600gt and it runs all new games maxed out..!!!
    its just the overclocking im still trying to get perrrrrfect..!! :cool:
    P.S. heres a pic of my bad biotch..!!! :Pwned:
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    I have to agree with the dead even. I play CSS and I might tend to lean towards the ATI but I also play enemy territory and plan to play Return to Castle Wolfenstien 2 when it comes out and its going to be based on the doom3 engine so I would have to go with the 6600GT. Either way both will do well.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    I have to agree with the dead even. I play CSS and I might tend to lean towards the ATI but I also play enemy territory and plan to play Return to Castle Wolfenstien 2 when it comes out and its going to be based on the doom3 engine so I would have to go with the 6600GT. Either way both will do well.

if the new RTCW2 has the doom3 enine, i think it wouldnt be what RTCW is known for..!!!