Cooling a 6800gt

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I plan on getting the eVGA 6800gt . I am not going to go with stock cooling, so should I use the ARCTIC COOLING NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 2) Ceramic VGA Cooler?

I have the Antec SOHO case, ill probably have 3-4 fans(not including zalman and nv5)

Also, on the eVGA 6800gt they(people who reviewed it on newegg) say that the sticker will come off and get stuck in the fan. Do they mean the sticker on the fan or the big mermaid sticker on the whole thing?
Thank you

Comments

• edited May 2005
    The sticker in the middle of the fan comes loose, I've got the 6800nu by them and the issue started when mine was new (back like last july or so) but since then eVGA reportedly fixed it although if you pull the sticker off they won't void your warranty (nice of them).

As to cooling it I've seen pics of a new big Zalman flower type of VGA cooler with separate ram-sinks that looks to be the bomb, it's quieter than the Silencer and doesn't require leaving a PCI cover off.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited May 2005
    ive heard that u cant use 2 zalmans though(one on video card AND processor) you have to pick, but that is probably only on some motherboards. I plan on getting the dfi-ultra d.

so its the tiny sticker on the fan, not the mermaid one, correct?
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, the tiny one in the fan and this one doesn't sit above the card, no way it'll interfere with the CPU cooler...
    edited May 2005
    yeah, i was just looking at that. Both zalmans should fit in my case, right?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2005
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I use the Arctic Silencer on my 6800 GT and it has worked great.
  • edited May 2005
    Sorry R.C., I never saw your reply until tonight :O but yeah, they both should fit in your case.

I'm not knocking the silencer but I like the design of the new Zalman better, it allows air from the fan to blow across the ram sinks allowing a little added cooling for the ram which is a nice thing for those that like to see exactly how much extra poop their card has.
    edited May 2005
    I believe i am going to go with the Leadtek 6800gt Do you think that will be a wise choice over the eVGA 6800gt?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    from the zalman website, installation notes...
    http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=149&code=013

1. After installing this product on a VGA card, a PCI slot adjacent to the AGP (or PCle) slot will become
    unusable.
    2. This product is not compatible with Matrox VGA cards and NVIDIA PCX 5*** VGA cards.
    3. To enhance the performance of this product, using a rear case fan is recommended.
    4. Zalman is not responsible for any problems arising from incorrect installation.
    5. The Nipples MUST be tightened by hand.
    Using tools to tighten the nipples may break the tip of the nipples.
    ;D;D;D :bawling: ;D;D;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I believe i am going to go with the Leadtek 6800gt Do you think that will be a wise choice over the eVGA 6800gt?
    The Leadtek is a good card and you won't need to change the heatsink either. The one that it comes with is the shiznit! :cool:
  • edited May 2005
    If you get the Leadtex make sure to pull the fan grill off, they use this really fine mesh and it hinders airflow as well as stopping up with any and all dust and other foriegn matter that enters your case.

Otherwise they've got a killer HSF on that card, very large, very heavy and very solid chunk of copper.
    edited May 2005
    I plan on getting the DFI lanparty ultra-d motherboard, so i can put the video card on the bottom pci-e x16 slot and prevent it from taking up the other pci-e x16 slot, so it will only take up one of the original ****ty PCI slots, right? if u need me to restate that, then i will understand ;)
  • edited May 2005
    It wouldn't matter if you put it in the top slot, the spacing is such that you can fit 2 ultras in there and they have dual slot coolers as well.
    edited May 2005
    madmat wrote:
    It wouldn't matter if you put it in the top slot, the spacing is such that you can fit 2 ultras in there and they have dual slot coolers as well.
    Yes it does protrude into the lower X-16 slot space. Not by a lot but it certainly does interfere.

Rivers
    Why don't you want to block the lower slot? When running in signleVGA mode the lower slot is only capable of PCI X-2 bandwidth. Please explain just what you are planning and want to acomplish with the new rig.
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, I was almost positive that it took up at least some of the second slot. I was unaware that when running in signleVGA mode the lower slot is only capable of PCI X-2 bandwidth :o I plan on doing a lot of gaming(world of warcraft mostly)
  • edited May 2005
    Funny it must be considerably larger in height than the ultra coolers then because on this page http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/05/17/nvidia_sli_pt2/2.html is a pic of the SLI Lan Party board with 2 ultras installed in an SLI setup and they seem to fit without a problem.
    edited May 2005
    What do you plan on doing with the other PCI-e slot?

Are you planning on modding the board and getting another card later on?
    edited May 2005
    For now, i will just leave the other pci-e slot. I really dont have plans on modding the board. So it really doesnt matter whether i put it in the top or bottom slot?
    edited May 2005
    For now, i will just leave the other pci-e slot. I really dont have plans on modding the board. So it really doesnt matter whether i put it in the top or bottom slot?
    That's what the top slot is for is the 'Primary VGA Interface'.

I have been learning a lot more about the PCI-e slot properties of this board as I have been looking into the possibility of other PCI-e devices and Tex of these forums has had a 'no go' with a PCI-e 16X RAID card in the lower slot while running a vid card in the top. So I am hunting down the possibility of how if possible to run other devices in the lower slot.
    edited May 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    That's what the top slot is for is the 'Primary VGA Interface'.

I have been learning a lot more about the PCI-e slot properties of this board as I have been looking into the possibility of other PCI-e devices and Tex of these forums has had a 'no go' with a PCI-e 16X RAID card in the lower slot while running a vid card in the top. So I am hunting down the possibility of how if possible to run other devices in the lower slot.

Sounds interesting...keep me informed
    ;)