Micro ATX Motherboards

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I am debating about building a micro atx system, now the one thing i would really like is pci express vid card and some pci express slots....i am into gaming...do have a nice desktop and am interested in learning more bout micro atx. Do you have any good micro mobos that i could look into...i am not seeing a lot of sites that review Micro atx. So if anyone can list some good micro mobos or micro mobo sites, it would really be appreciated.
One more thing i am HOPING to go amd 3800 64 which is a 939.

Comments

• yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    Sorry I can't be of any help, but I too am very interested in this concept. I want a cheaper silent system, not top performance, but one that is plenty fine for basic stuff and most/all of today's games. Oh, and I like the compactness.

What reasons do you want an mATX JSKILL?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I've heard good thingson the Shuttle Barebones systems. You can find them at newegg.com. I've bought a couple in the past, and really liked them.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    mATX motherboards for AMD 64 (Socket 939) are pretty well non-existent.

MSI has one and I've got the Socket A version. Works pretty well.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb

Gigabyte is pretty well the only other manufacturer for this type of product. They have the GA-K8A480M-9 but I hear there are some issues with mATX, the RS480 IGP chipset from ATI and Socket 939...I hear some rumors.

There are Socket 754 boards from MSI and others.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8TM-ILSR

MSI also has Socket A motherboards with integrated graphics processors

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2GM2-LSR&class=mb

Which, if you aren't doing any real hardcore gaming...work quite well with an XP 3000+ or higher.

ASROCK (cheapy) has a socket 754/939 mATX motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k8_combo-z.htm
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    After reading MediaMans review of that cool matx case yesterday I started thinking the same thing, I went to newegg and typed in matx , 939 , and nf4 . I got these results
    link to newegg
    I read a couple of reviews on other foxconn boards and while not that earth shattering they seem to be pretty solid boards. and both have PCI-E x16 slots

FWIW

Scott
  • edited May 2005
    Yea scott i did similar things....really i have a 3000+ 512 pc400 120 gig and 30 gig and 5700 ultra...i want to go to amd 3800 64, 512 pc 400(maybe gig) and a high end pci express vid card. I am into hard core gaming, and i liked the review on the case and i thought that a portable computer would be really nice.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    CHAINTECH 7NIF2 Micro ATX mobo
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have been (ab)using the ATI based, MSI S939 m-atx for a couple of days now.

Stable as hell in an Antec Aria, X700 Pro and a A64 3500 Winchester. Cpu gets to about 52C after 48 hours of Prime95 which isn't to bad in such closed and poor ventilated case as the Aria.

This is with a stock A64 cooler as well that is ziptied down onto the socket. A normal 80mm heatsink will not fit with this combo since the powersupply gets in the way. However, one of those tower heatsinks, which are a bit flatter since the fan sits on the side, might work.

Just over 20K 3dmark 01 without any overclock whatsoever and 2.5,4,4,7 timings.
    I have to test a few different drivers to see if things improves. Clock for clock, the ATI chipset beats the Nforce4 though. The answer should be tighter alphatimings. (same story as the Via chipsets basically)

Overall, this is a cheap and very good performing combo. VERY quiet with Speedfan and Xpertool (practically no noise at all).

I just wish i had Mediamans little cube he recently reviewed. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get there in Europe.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    agree, nice MB. :thumbsup: