abit AI7 beeping strangely

sforzasforza SPAIN
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hello,

I have an Abit AI7 with a 3Ghz p4 northwood. It's been working perfectly until a week ago.

When I play Colin McRae 2005 (doesn't happen with UT2004), after a while playing, the tower starts to make strange sounds. Please DL the file I attach. When I finish the rally and go back to the "box" to change tyres etc, it stops beeping.

I first thought on overheating problems, and the mobo was warning me, but I did a test: while playing CMR temp never goes above 62ºC. Then I stopped CMR and ran prime 95, and temp rised up to 69ºC. No beeps here.

Plus I am a video editor and left the computer encoding mpeg2 video overnight often and never had these beeps before.

What is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Man, that sure sounds like an overheat warning. Have you tried shooting the hsf with an upside down can of compressed air to spray the cold liquid stuff out of it when it's making this siren noise? If that makes it quit sounding the siren, then it is heat related. If it doesn't stop the siren noise, then it's not heat related, but what it could mean I haven't a clue.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Did you build the machine? What about the possability of a temp alarm on the PSU or some other componant?
    Maybe it is your radar detector, since you are driving so fast ;D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    Yes that is definitely a temperature alarm. Check the BIOS to see if that feature is enabled and adjust.

Also..open the case up and check for Dust Bunnies from Hell.

If you have a 3rd party software or hardware temperature monitor enabled (Like Motherboard Monitor) then check the settings there too.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited May 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

I didn't built the machine, I got it already assembled. This is not my own computer, is my father's. So it wanted an standard pc, not a top-tech machine with every piece specially selected, high quality memory and so on. I just managed to get it with an abit mobo. Heatsink is pretty standard, and I can say it doesn't has a lot of dust on it, almost nothing. And I don't know what thermal paste was used.

It's a bit errr shame for me to ask this kind of question. An overheat alarm is the first thing I thought on. That is pretty newbie-ish...

Ok, I can't say it is not heat related but, WHY it doesn't beep with prime or while encoding, then?? temp is higher with prime than with colin mcrae!!
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2005
    Hmmm well my AI-7 always makes that noise so I unplugged the case speaker. Mine does it though because I've disabled both the cpu & northbridge fan alarm in the bios & thus it make the noise. Check what the settings are in the bios if you know how to do it.
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, alarms are disabled.

Unplugging the speaker is a solution, but I'd like to know what's the reason behind.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2005
    sforza wrote:
    Yeah, alarms are disabled.

Unplugging the speaker is a solution, but I'd like to know what's the reason behind.

It's a common bug with that board & certain bioses that when the fan alarms are disabled, the alarm still goes off. :D

The only solution is to unplug the case speaker :(
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited May 2005
    Then I already know what I have to do :)

What bios version are you using? I can't remember mine, when I reboot I'll post it.