_really_ cheap RAM

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
perhaps we could purchase some of this for future SMx rigs...
http://www.buy.com//retail/product.asp?sku=10354955&dcaid=1688

I really can't spend money until I know if I have a job this summer, or else I'd buy some for the project.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Not bad at all.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Wow. Oh God. Does anyone know if this would have any potential to overclock, even a smidge? Like, 20 mhz? If so, I'm all over it...

I can't believe it's actually that cheap. If it's decent, it'd be perfect to drop in SMx rigs, and save a ton of money, too.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Not a SINGLE hit regarding "VGDDR32X64PC3200" +overclock on google. I would say.. No.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    It only costs $6 to buy some and find out :).
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Is this memory any less worthy than a Corsair XMS equivelant that runs cas 2.5? Or any "well known" brand of memory for that matter with the same exact ratings?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Quite probably. I bet the compatability is lower, betcha it has a higher fail rate, bet it won't overclock like those other memory modules, bet it doesn't even like lower timings.

Just a guess, but nobody really ever gets a gourmet meal for $5.50, if you take my meaning.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    But if its going along with a processor that natively runs 133 FSB .. well then it just might be worth a shot. Chances are it won't overclock at all
  • edited May 2005
    Anyone know what chips this ram uses?
  • edited May 2005
    Newegg is also selling that stuff and the picture at the Egg shows the "Elixir" name on the chips. Newegg has that ram for $19.99 + $4.33 shipping. Newegg doesn't say that it has a rebate but I clicked on the rebate button on the buy.com site and it isn't site-specific as far as I can see, so you can d/l the rebate from buy's site if you get the ram from Newegg. The rebate is from May 1 to May 31, 2005, if anyone wants this stuff.

BTW, I would be very careful if you decide to purchase from buy.com as their service and ratings have gone in the crapper the last year or 2. :(

EDIT: Some links for anyone interested in this ram:

Rebate Link

Newegg link to that ddr.
    edited May 2005
    First line on the rebate: "Rebate Valid if purchased from the following: Buy.com"

Newegg is out. IT has to be purchased from Buy.com.
  • edited May 2005
    Then I damn sure wouldn't buy it then. Just go to resellerratings.com and read all the negative comments. Their 6 month rating is like 3.36 out of 10! :shakehead
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    They're out anyway....
    edited May 2005
    Yeah I have bought something from them before and they arent very good.