question regarding 9800 xt RMA and ATI

edited May 2005 in Hardware
my 9800 xt crapped out... red pixels during games and in windows which dissapear when I turn hardware acceleration off. I bought this on ebay...(I think it was a refurb) the sticker on the back of the card on the thin metal piece has the two letters RE after the long number (does tht mean it's a refurb?) either way I sent the model and part number to ATI and they gave me an RMA...I'm about to ship it to them.... does anyone know if they will repair a refurbished card? I hope they do... I'm too broke to buy anythin else...

Comments

• edited May 2005
    bump... does anyone know if ATI will repair a refurbished card?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    I would say you have a pretty good chance. When you are dealing with ATI directly (and not one of their partners) the service is quite good. A friend of mine threw his dead 9700 AIW in a drawrer for a year, as he thought the warantee was gone, and I RMA'ed it to humor him, and surprise surprise, a shiny new (well, looked almost new) card, even without any proof of purchase.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Yah thats one of the reasons you should always go ati.

They still give you a new one if your don't have proof of purchase. :)

My buddy broke his 9600xt (damaged the core putting on a new cooler) Put it in the box without a cooler sent it to ati without a rma number even and they sent him a new one that overclocks about 3% better ;D .