Water Cooling

07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
edited May 2005 in Hardware
Can anybody please suggest a mid price range water cooler. It does not have to be fanless, i would actually prefer a fan, and prefably have a video card attachment as well. I am not looking for top of the market units, although i am looking for performance.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    When you say 'water cooler' I assume you are refering to a watercooling system?

Your best bet would be to piece together a custom system, but if you'd prefer to use a kit, the swiftech kits are pretty decent. I would stay away from entry level kits such as the TT Aquarius etc, as you'd get better temps on quality air cooling. There is also a company called 'Dtek' that makes some quality kits, with heatercore radiators. Check them out too.

By building a custom kit, you'd have the option of using 1/2" tubing, better blocks, rad, pump, and much better temps. What is your budget like?
  • 07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
    edited May 2005
    My budget is AU$200 firm, i do not want to go over it but i want good performance, even it involves building it or putting it together myself.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    you should be able to do that easily for under $200.
    have you any idea where/how you will mount it?
  • 07mavribea07mavribea Perth, Western Australia
    edited May 2005
    I don not really know how im going to mount it, im am really just trying to get around and do my ground work. When i find a unit/kit suitable i will start considering the finer details but my computer is pretty stationary and only go to a few LAN's a year so i should be alright.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well when I got my kit I knew that mounting it would be an issue.
    At the same time I knew that if I didn't have it right in front of me I wouldn't know how to plan the installation.
    When it's all said and done it was a challenge that I overcame the cheapest way possible. I'm still working on it now getting it tweaked.
    The biggest realization that I came to was that when it was all said and done my temps were no better than when it was air cooled. The system is still noisy but more tolerable now and it attracts less dust than before.
    So at this point you should really ask yourself if you really need watercooling.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Are you or will you be getting into overclocking? because that is really the only need for a water system. if noise is your issue you could, for much less money, buy nice heatsink with a large 92 or 120 mm fan for your cpu and a replacement vid card cooler. if not www.swiftech.com, www.dangerden.com, www.dtekcustoms.com all have nice stuff for custom rigs or they sell kits as well. I'de consider the size of your case before purchasing a kit. look around and take some dimensions so everything goes in nicely with not too much modding.