AGP 1x / 2x video card ideas?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I have an Abit BP6 running 2 533 Celeron processors overclocked to 600 Mhz. I currently have a cheap 8 MB video card in it.

I looked at the BP6 specs, and it says this motherboard will support AGP 1X and 2X video cards.

So what are the names and models of video cards I can get to fit this motherboard? Preferably ATI / Radeon cards.

It doesn't have to be any kind of super-fancy expensive card, a mid range card will do. But then again, since 1X and 2X is old news now, maybe I'll get whatever was high end in its day. It should be cheap now.

What do I have to pick from?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Basically, another cheap 8mb vid card or maybe a voodoo 5 5500 if you're running '98 or feel up to using really beta drivers with XP.

A 4x card won't fit into a 1x/2x slot, it's keyed differently so any radeon card is out.

You might check out the archives of some of the older sites like [H] or Tom's hardware guide for old-school vid card reviews from like '99-'00 but that's about the best I can offer.
  • edited May 2005
    Hmmm...apparently I misspoke, so rather than delete the above post I'll donate what I found out here.

I read a review of your board and the reviewer ran it with a TNT2 Ultra in it, so I looked up the ultra and it's an AGP 2x/4x part so your board should in theory be able to host an AGP 4x card but as to an 4x/8x card I won't even offer an opinion there.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    A 2x/4x card should fit, but it will only run in 2x.
    A Radeon 9000 is prob your best bet.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102386
    Look at that one.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Thanks, I'll see if I can find a Radeon 9000 on eBay.

My BP6 is running Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I should have mentioned that before.

Are there any other video card models that would be among the best this BP6 can handle?

The AGP slot on the BP6 motherboard has one key tab in it, about 1/3 of the way in from the side of the computer case where the video card output plug would go.

I looked on eBay, and saw several cards listed as being 2x / 4x compatible. I guess they have both key tab slots cut out and auto-detect the slot voltage or something. I'll have to look at their listings again to check on that.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    is it 3.3v or 1.5v?
    what do you want to use it for? I know of some 32mb and 64mb that would work but now ati.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I probably wouldn't use it for any games (I don't have any games), I just want the best video playback performance I can get in Windows Media Player 9 or 10.

This 8 MB card doesn't do too well when playing high rate high quality video. It skips and stutters.

It's a Number Nine SR-9 8 MB video card.

I'll have to look at bp6.com for information on the voltage.