My setup

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Ok my goal was to spend under 1000 canadian.

DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR 2PCI-E16 PCI-E4 PCI-E1 2PCI .. (LANPARTY-UT-NF4-ULTRA-D)….. $189.57

CORSAIR VALUE SELECT DUAL CHANNEL 1024MB KIT PC3200 DDR CAS2.5 2X512MB (VS1GBKIT400)….. $138.22

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE 2.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM RETAIL BOX (ADA3200BPBOX)….. $281.09

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 80GB HARD DRIVE ATA/100 8.5MS 7200 OEM (2)…. $81.22 X2= $162.44

NEC ND-3520A DVD+RW 16X8X16 DVD-RW 16X6X16 CDRW 48X24X48 DUAL LAYER+R 4X INT IDE BLACK OEM W/SW (ND-3520A-BLACK)…. $80.32

ANTEC SLK3000B ATX MID TOWER CASE BLACK 6X5.25 5X3.5 NO PS (SLK3000B)… $69.08

ANTEC TRUEPOWER 430W ATX12V PS/2 SIZE 2 FANS LOW NOISE (TRUE430)… $93.12

BFG GEFORCE 6600 GT OC PCI-E 128MB 128BIT DDR3 DUAL DVI TV-OUT VIDEO CARD RETAIL BOX ... $297.65

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 24BIT OEM SOUND CARD (30SB035000000)... $86.37

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Just so you guys know, this is another friend of mine I dragged over from the abyss knows as the internet. He's Canadian and plays Call of Duty:UO a lot, but is planning on future gaming and future upgradability. He won't be doing any overclocking, so that's not an issue, he just wants the best bang for his gaming buck. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You need a beter power supply that is 24 pin like the one I listed in another thread. And you will not need the Audigy!!! What you save there you could upgrade the vid card to an X800XL. That memory will suck in that system and I recomend some PC3200 that has tighter timings!

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail $85.00US
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    He does not need a better PSU.

He needs a $6 20pinto 24pin converter.

I have two dual opterons and two AMD 64's running 24/7 with that setup and no PSU in my house but the huge PC Power & Cooling has cost over $35. I have more hard drives and DVD's on my DFI setup with a 3400+ cpu and it runs fine off teh 520watt $35 flower PSU from directron.

Unless he plans to OC it that memory would work fine. I have the same MB and have run

1) $100 for 2x512mb pc3200 Geil fine
    2) $100 for 2x512mb pc3200 Kingston value ram
    3) $160 for 2x512mb of pc4000 Corsair Twinmos high end ram

The twinmos is cool with the lights but if you don't OC and he never mentioned OC'ing then all the other pc3200 ddr listed worked fine in that board also. He is trying to go cheap here.

I like the twinmos... the LED's are very cool! but for the price ... I can't tell you what sticks were in the computer without looking.

Tex
    edited May 2005
    Tex,

I would venture to say that his gaming will make good use of the extra power as he will likely be running a lot more power hungry vid card than you do as you don't game. The PSU I listed doesn't cost that much more than the 380 he listed to start with. I also noticed that he stated he dos not intend to overclock so I suggested better memory as the lower latency stuff would help his system as it does help an A-64's system performance.

teh old goat
  • edited May 2005
    What would you suggest for ramm then? that PSU looks better.
    edited May 2005
    The video card in my DFI Ultra is a pci-e x600 based ATI all in wonder. And works fine in the $33 Super Flower 520watt psu with the $6 adapter.

And as I mentioned you can't tell the differance between the $170 Corsair Twinmoss pc4000 in it righjt nowe other then the cool lights and the $100 Geil pc3200 or Kingston if you don't OC. And he said he wasnt going to OC remember.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    Im thinking a need a cheaper computer case with a built in power supply.

Any suggestions? Im not into that fancy crap really I just want something durable and that suits my gaming needs.

And your pretty much saying the RAM I have in there now is fine?\

Thanks.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Do not get built in psu.
    It will be a pos and you will risk your rig.
    Get an antec psu like the one mtgoat suggested

Corsair Value isn't very good latency, Personaly I would have upgraded to the xms.Just to get down to 2ns.
    Heres a link for a store in toronto that has some for a good price :)
    http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=003398&cid=RAM.178
  • edited May 2005
    Cant find any of those specifiq PSU at any of the Canadian websites

Anything on this list you would suggest?

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=PS.808&mfg=ANTEC
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Neo power if you got the cash :)
  • edited May 2005
    Ok thanks, it's getting to be a little pricey computer. :p
  • edited May 2005
    Now Im gonna have to look at cutting it down a bit, any suggestions on what I should do?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Stevenson wrote:
    ...any suggestions on what I should do?
    Keep listening to further suggestions.

You are not ever, and I mean ever (!) going to get any two or more experts agree on every aspect of a particular system. Before you get your checkbook out you should be patient and listen to all of the opinions. The beauty of Short-Media is that you will hear it all, from end-to-end.

Back around New Year's I built a killer system based on the advice I got here. You've found the right place, just wait until you've heard all of the recommendations to roll in. You'll be glad you did. :)
    edited May 2005
    Here is the power supply I have and it works quite well. It is also more suited to the needs of what you have planned and is less money than the Neopower.

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=001801&cid=PS.808

Along w/ this PSU I stand on my original changes. It would do very well in any game to come in the next year or two. I also still say forget the Audigy! (it simply isn't needed w/ that board)
  • edited May 2005
    So your saying drop the sound card all together or just get a cheaper one?
    edited May 2005
    He is saying use the onboard sound. It's fine for now.

Tex
    edited May 2005
    Stevenson wrote:
    So your saying drop the sound card all together or just get a cheaper one?
    Drop it completely as the sound that comes w/ the DFI NF4Ultra-D is as good as what you were planning on purchasing. It will allow you to put more money into your video card. ;) While a 6600GT will do fine on most games I would recomend one a little higher Like an X800XL or if you can find a good deal on a 6800GT.
  • edited May 2005
    WOW, didnt know there was an onboard sound card. Yeah im planning to buy a 6800gt 256mb PCI-E off ebay for a good price.