What do you think about this cheap machine design?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I am thinking about making an extremely cheap system, but one that doesn't sacrifice too much. I want to fold with this, as best I can without it being to money wasteful. The stuff I am interested in is below:

CPU: 1.8ghz duron approx $40 oem (how many watts? 57? and is this unlockable?)
unknown heatsink, but must be silent or fanless (probably just above $30?)
Motherboard: just a cheap ecs or something from newegg approx $40 micro atx
memory: 256mb ddr2700 from local store $20
Aspire X Q case approx. $100 (may be used for future system, maybe) (any small factor recommendations?)

So, about $100 for the essential parts, plus an unknown amount for the heatsink and probably $100 for the case.

Besides this I have a psu, hard drive, cd drive, keyboard, mouse, (lack speakers though, just incase I ever use them, low priority). I may want to purchase a fanless psu though, and possibly a video card, but I am set on those items already, kind of.

Am I wasting my time on this stuff?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If you're just building a folding box, i'd suggest that you make sure the board you get has onboard video and lan - will knock off a few bucks from the price. No need for sound. Also, there are cases much cheaper than that Aspire case. If you're going mATX, make sure you research whatever motherboard you plan to get to make sure that it has overclocking options.

You won't be able to unlock the duron - but you may just be able to run it at the next highest fsb (133->166 or 166->200) without any mods.

If you're only planning on using 256mb of ram, you'll make sure you use an OS with a small memory footprint so that you can devote as much memory as possible to folding.

Keep your eyes open in the newegg refurb section as well.
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/CategoryList.asp?Type=Refurbished
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    I would recomend anything other then that duron.

Like get this insted its only a bit more and alot faster
    AMD Sempron 2400+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM $64.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104203
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Define "a lot".

I'm not sure how dependant F@H is on L2 cache - The 1.8 duron is 0.133333333333333333 GHz faster than that sempron. If F@H doesn't care between 256k and 64k of cache, then the duron is a better deal.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2005
    New Question:

When AMD starting using the XX00+ rating system and lowered the mhz were they initially optimized to be faster than the faster clocked chips still not on the new rating system? That 2400+ seems weird to be slower than the 1.8 duron if it's supposed to act 600 mhz faster.

Alot means the cheapest possible system, that still will be a descent folder. I need onboard lan yes, onboard video is not neccessary, but it is okay. I would not have to buy a video card at all. Operating System is not an issue. The reason why I would consider that case is I like the compactness, but it would be best if I could see it in person to tell if I'd like to buy it. I also think I might put a future mATX in it, like a 64 bit, maybe that is what I should do from the start? If I did that though I would almost want to have better parts though and use it as a computer and not just a folding machine.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    To bad you don't have a Fry's around. Check outpost.com thats their website. When I lived near Dallas they would run specials once a week with ECS MB and AMD 2400+ cpu's for like $59 total about once a week. Specials only good for a day or so but you might consider watching them. It was like getting the MB for free.

Tex