I use Cable and DSL

Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Hopefully this question has an easy solution. I have Cable and DSL. The cable is connected through the usb port, and the DSL into my ethernet. Both are connected and work fine. The only problem is that my Cable is way faster than DSL, but the computer chooses to use the ethernet port as the default internet connection (which the DSL is connected to). I would just put the DSL on the usb if I had the choice, but I dont. OK on with the question...

How to I assign my USB Cable modem to be the default internet connection so the DSL is only used when the Cable connection fails (happens often)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Well I would just use the Cable through ethernet(usb yuck!) then when that goes down simply switch to DSL by switching the cables and possibly reboot if nessesary.
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited May 2005
    Thats what I used to do, I am looking for an easier way because I am lazy.

Another thing I did was make shortcuts to my taskbar and just enable/disable based on the connections I need. But I am looking for a solution so when I am online gaming or something, it automatically usues the other internet connection.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Buy another ethernet card, I doubt they cost much. Or... you could disable whichever one your not using. So if you wanna disable your ethernet port, go to the device and disable it in network neighborhood,or "network connections".
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Isn't it possible to "trick" your computer into seeing a single connection? That way you could have the combined speed of both. I would assume that when one goes down, your computer wouldn't really know the difference and would just rely on the other.

Thoughts, anyone?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    He could bridge them but then only benifit from multiple streams
    edited May 2005
    Oh yeah, THATS why I saved that NIC card I got with my DSL. Thanks dude.
    I would combine the connections for more speed if it was possible, but the computer can only draw from one internet connection at a time.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Unless you use something like leachget then it opens multiple streams when downloading a file (should open 1 per modem)
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited May 2005
    What you want to do is not really possible. Connections are made between IPs, and the cable and DSL connections would have each a different IP. So one would be un-aware of the other's connections so if one dropped out the other could not take over. Yes, you could disable one connection and use the other incase of a down, but you would have to restart all connections (no game takeover, download takeover, etc).

Basically you're wasting your money. You can't use both connections at once, so one always goes unused. If either one has the frequent problem of dropping connections that you need a backup, I suggest calling the company for help or get a different ISP.

Sorry bud. If only it were that simple to combine bandwidth :(
  • edited May 2005
    Actually you can get a load balancing router, which will allow you to use both connections at once for increased performance, AND switch entirely to one connection if the other goes down. Though, they are expensive.

I'd be suprised if there wasn't a mod for SmoothWall to do it (which is an open-source (100% free) router OS), but I'd bet installing it would take a bit of Linux know-how.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    what you want is called teaming. It takes both nic cards and creates a virtual nic and assigns a single ip address for both cards. Both cards then work in tandem. Ive set up broadcom controllers on hp servers to do. Hp has a tool that will do it, as does intel, however they only work with specific cards and certainly not ones you will get at compusa or the likes.
    edited May 2005
    I dont want to combine bandwidths. Just have one internet connection be ready when the other goes down. I already have this setup, but I wanted to have the Cable be the primary instead of the DSL. I did realize after I posted that my game would still disconnect from the server, but at least with this setup I can immediately rejoin without having to do anything. I just have to find my NIC card now and I will be in business.

As for teaming, I will have to look more into that, it seems pretty cool.

Thanks for all the help guys.