Change drives on Sony Vaio

edited January 2010 in Hardware
Dear Short Media,

I have just purchased a Sony Vaio PCV-F11M Desktop for it's excellent hardware specs. of 200 Gb Hdd, 512 RAM etc, but after installing all needed programs, and importing pictures and the like to drive C:, I realised that the stupid idiots at **** have installed all the programs, drivers, features, and of course things like My Documents onto the C: drive, which is the smaller 27.9 Gb of the two partitions!

So, it being a new pristine PC, I am dubious about making changes, but need to have everything that is on drive C: on the larger drive D:..capacity 151 Gb.

Would it work to reassign the drive letters? or to change them around? or will I have to create some sort of boot disk image, and load the whole shabang onto drive D: from scratch? If so, I heard something about you being able to change the size of the drive C: during OS installation swith Sony Vaios. Is this true?

Please tell me there is a way to get everything currently on drive C: onto drive D: without rebooting from scratch, and operating on my lovely new machine!

Thanks for reading
Keira

PS: Any help would be much appreciated, but please bear in mind, althought I am competent with PCs, I need step by step guidance right now, as it is a desktop, and I am scared of making it any less functionable than it is now.

Comments

• SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    :) i have a sony viao frv-27 and when i had it sent off for repairs,it came back with two partitions, i called sony and they told me that the recovery dvd my computer came with would give me an option to create two partiotions or to have one "C:" instead of C: and D:....i would suggest you format the pc with the dvd or cd's and you will have the option to have one drive or two...!!!

hope this helps..
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    You can change the partition size with Partition Magic.
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks to both solo, and balck hawk for your replys.

If I was to either suggestion, does that mean I would have to save a copy of my entire C: drive, and then reboot the os on the D: drive- bearing in mind I am in need of step by step assistance here? :scratch: or a 'don't do this' list intead!

I have somthing called the 'Vaio Recovery Utility' preinstalled, which asks whether i'd like to 'Create Recovery media kit', or 'Recover my PC'. I'm assuming that i'd need to do both in order to do it the hard way, but what I really want to know is..

Can I either a: Copy ALL my files from the smaller- C:- partition, onto the larger -D:- one without rebooting? (or do I need to largen the C:'s size because C: is the default?)

If not, would someone tell me step by step how I b: Make a Copy of my C: image, reformat the two partitions into a single one, and then put my C: image onto the reformatted C: with or without my 'Vaio Recovery Utility'?

Thanks again
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Why not just move My Documents to D:? Right click "My Documents" on the desktop and click "Properties". Where it says target location, change that to "D:\" (without quotes). It'll ask if you want to move the files to the new location and you choose yes/ok. Other than that, why not just resize the C: partition so that everything can fit?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Black Hawk gave you some good advice.

My experience with Sony computers is that their idea of a 'Vaio Recovery Utility' is to format your C: drive and put it back the same way it was when you took it out of the box - minus your data. Make sure anything and everything you care about is located on your D: partition.

They might have you up a tree concerning something as simple as a Windows Repair Install, since I'm betting that among the discs you have from them there is no bona fide Windows disc included. If you run into trouble your only choice will be to either write off anything on your C: partition, or spring for a true copy of Windows. If you keep your data on D: you will at least be able to run the restore utility with some hope of having things there when it finishes. :)
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks to all who've posted, but I am getting conflicted ideas here.

Black Hawk, I think your idea of increasing the C: Partition to my D: size is a good idea. What I need to know is can I do this without having to reformat C:, and just reformat D: as it resizes it to enlarge C:?

Can someone tell me what exactly I should do, who has done something similar like this before pls?
    edited July 2005
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2005
    Much safer then resizing the partition (Partition Magic has screwed more then a few people by bombing out part way through) Would be to copying directories pertaining to your user files "My documents", "My pictures", "My Music", "My video" etc over to the D: drive and remappping them as well as your "temp", and "internet temp" files to the D: drive. This takes a few minutes to copy and a minute or two to change the mappings to point to the D: drive.

Get the temp files and user files off C: and you will never fill up a 30gb c: drive with just programs and OS.

get the stuff copied and I'll show you a nifty tool that remaps them all in seconds.

Tex
  • edited July 2005
    And easier. My Vaio will not allow PartitionMagic 8.0 to resize the partitions. For some unknown reason the D: drive shows as completely full in PM8 but it really has 60GB free. As a result I cannot free up space for C: to expand in.

BUT the catch for me is that even after moving everything I am still looking at a tight fit. Sony only set my C: drive at 14GB. Anyone here know a way to make PM resize this Sony partiton?

Much safer then resizing the partition (Partition Magic has screwed more then a few people by bombing out part way through) Would be to copying directories pertaining to your user files "My documents", "My pictures", "My Music", "My video" etc over to the D: drive and remappping them as well as your "temp", and "internet temp" files to the D: drive. This takes a few minutes to copy and a minute or two to change the mappings to point to the D: drive.

Get the temp files and user files off C: and you will never fill up a 30gb c: drive with just programs and OS.

get the stuff copied and I'll show you a nifty tool that remaps them all in seconds.

Tex
  • alinamirzaalinamirza europe
    edited December 2005
    hy, i would like to ask you where can i find on the internet the drivers for PC Sony Vaio PCV-F11M?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    try sonys website

Tex
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited December 2005
    PCV-F11M..? ive never heard of that model..i looked around the vaio site and didnt see it..

Well maybe you misprinted the model...or maybe i have no idea what im talkin bout :0
  • edited January 2010
    alinamirza wrote:
    hy, i would like to ask you where can i find on the internet the drivers for PC Sony Vaio PCV-F11M?

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=Vaio/Original/V2_Drivers.zip&m=VGC-V2M&ip=Preinstalled_Drivers.htm
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Oh thank god...
    I too have been waiting nearly 5 years for a vaio drivers link...

:thumbsup::beer: :bigggrin:
  • edited January 2010
    troll wrote:
    Oh thank god...
    I too have been waiting nearly 5 years for a vaio drivers link...

:thumbsup::beer: :bigggrin:

The internet doesn't just revolve around you. There are other people looking for these drivers, and I'd like to see you try and find them anywhere else other than here :wtf: