Options

Power supply dieing

edited May 2005 in Hardware
My other pc is just shutting off randomly like it used to before. that time i redid the wires for HDD LED, etc. and it worked. Its been about 3 months now and its doing it again. I had put in my hp's 250w in it for that 3 months.

when it just shuts off the green LED still lights until i pull the cord and i have to wait like 6 seconds for it to clear. the I start it again and after like 3 secodns it shuts off. I am trying the hdd on another pc now to see if it will stay on. It is not the PSU. I dont think it is the ram b/c this ram was straight from my hp (already had 1 of the 256 in it already and switched the 512 witht he 256)

the CPU when i brought it to a computer place they tested it and it was good. I shall test that someday.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    bump, new information all different
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    Is your CPU overheating? If you get into windows you can monitor the temp with something like motherboard monitor and see what's happening.

Run memtest (www.memtest86.org) if you suspect the memory.

What are your hardware specs?

Why do you say it can't be the PSU, its sounds very PSU'ish to me?
  • edited May 2005
    ok, I will try those.

I dont think its the PSU b.c i just tried like a brand new one 350W and it did the same thing,
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    how many HD's / etc do you have? can you list all the components in your computer?

Was the 350W new one a brand name PSU or just a bargain basement one? (was it heavy or light?)
  • edited May 2005
    pci gf232mb, 1WD HDD, cheap sound card, 2 roms, floppy, 2x256 memory amd 2500+, 3 80mm fans, cpu fan included. on the 250w psu.

The PSU is new and it works perfect on mine. Its a rosewell.

RIght now I have 1 rom, 1 stick 256, 2 80mm fan, floppy, video card, and sound card