Boot Media

edited May 2005 in Hardware
This evening I was online playing a game. My ISP and cable dropped for a few minutes. I turned off the computer.

When my ISP and cable came back on, my computer started to boot up as normal, past the K8V-X motherboard screen, then I saw a black screen with the writing:

Reboot and use the boot media or insert the boot media into the boot device.

Thats not exactly it, but close.

My mother board is an Asus K8V-X, cpu is a AMD 64 Athlon. OS is Windows 2000.

Note: Computer is brand new and still under warranty, however if its something I can fix myself, I could sure use some advice. I know very, very little about computers. :)

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    You didnt shut the computer down? You just turned it off?

Tex
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    did you pc freeze when you lost youre internet?
  • edited May 2005
    I turned it off yes. The game I was on lost connection. I closed the game and shut down the computer.

Edit: I keep forgetting to add, the fan in the back which is normally quiet, was very loud afterwards, not sure if this means anything.
    edited May 2005
    probably not unless you took a big surge or something and your PSU didnt handle it gracefully.

If it was me I would boot from the xp cd and go into recovery console and run chkdsk with the option to force it to do a full scan (I think its "chkdsk /r" but you can type "chkdsk ?" and it gives you all valid options).

After that type "fixboot" and hit enter

Then "fixmbr" and hit enter.

Then exit and reboot again with fingers firmly crossed.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    I don't know what I did but its working now ::scratches her head:: A friend came over to look at it, he checked the bios or something, but could not fix it. I went to turn it off (ctrl alt del) saw "for user window press tab", I pressed tab and the computer booted up as normal.

I am going to try and shut it down now and see if it boots up normally.
  • edited May 2005
    Well everything seems to be working now. :) It rebooted like it normally does. I still have no idea what happened, but I would like to thank short-media for their patience and advice on this matter.
    edited May 2005
    some times after stuff like that happens just shutting it off for 20 minutes and walking away.. drink a beer and come back and like magic the stupid thing woirks.

When I had a shop doing this stuff I can't even begin to count the number of computers brought in that supposedly wouldnt boot and like magic... I plug them in and of course they boot right up. (long sigh....) Customers thought I knew black magic.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you again Tex :)
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    But Obi Tex, you do know the black magic of the force!!!

;D;D;D
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    lol..its a strange force..!! :aol: