Amd 3000+ 2.5 ???????

SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
edited May 2005 in Hardware
I HAVE A AMD 3000+ OVRCLK. 2.4 IT WILL LET ME CLOCK IT TO 2.5 BUT IS THERE ANY THING ELSE THAT I NEED TO UP, LIKE VOLTAGE.???

I ALSO HAVE MY Apallo 6600GT ovrclked. IN SYSTEM BIOS AGP 100MHZ IT RUNS ALL NEW GAMES MAXED LIMITS PERFECTLY..!!

MY QUESTION IS OTHER THAN UPING THE GPU TO 2.4 GHZ AND UPING THE AGP 100MHZ, WHAT ARE OTHER CHANGES SHOULD BE MADE?

WITH THE SETTINGS LIKE THEY ARE MY CPU TEMP USUALLY STAYS AROUND 107 DEGREES F.
AND THE SYSTEM TEMP IS USUALLY 96 DEGREES F.

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS..

WHAT OTHER INFO DO YOU NEED TO HELP?

i have amd athlon 64-bit, on windows xp 64-bit

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    you should not run the agp bus out of spec. You could damage your video card.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    This all sounds fishy to me ... maybe its just the all caps. AGP working 50% out of spec seems darn improbable. What sorta cooling are you running to keep that sucker at 42*C?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited May 2005
    If I remember correctly, overclocking your AGP bus doesn't do anything other than heat your video card up. The video card regulates itself to 66MHz so all you're doing in effect is making the regulating circuitry work harder. I could be wrong though.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    deicist wrote:
    If I remember correctly, overclocking your AGP bus doesn't do anything other than heat your video card up. The video card regulates itself to 66MHz so all you're doing in effect is making the regulating circuitry work harder. I could be wrong though.
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    What does the agp have to do with running the processor at 2.5ghz?
    I just don't understand the question apparantly but I'm interested.

On a side note ...larry are you trying to sneak that vacation to san diego in your sig right under our noses??? ;D you ole mtdawg you! :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    csimon wrote:
    What does the agp have to do with running the processor at 2.5ghz?
    I just don't understand the question apparantly but I'm interested.

On a side note ...larry are you trying to sneak that vacation to san diego in your sig right under our noses??? ;D you ole mtdawg you! :thumbsup:
    Oh yea!
    I just got it yesterday and it's in and running well @ stock speed. I will be installing my F@H today after I finish updates and tweeking.;)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    solo23 wrote:
    I HAVE A AMD 3000+ OVRCLK. 2.4 IT WILL LET ME CLOCK IT TO 2.5 BUT IS THERE ANY THING ELSE THAT I NEED TO UP, LIKE VOLTAGE.???

I ALSO HAVE MY Apallo 6600GT ovrclked. IN SYSTEM BIOS AGP 100MHZ IT RUNS ALL NEW GAMES MAXED LIMITS PERFECTLY..!!

MY QUESTION IS OTHER THAN UPING THE GPU TO 2.4 GHZ AND UPING THE AGP 100MHZ, WHAT ARE OTHER CHANGES SHOULD BE MADE?

WITH THE SETTINGS LIKE THEY ARE MY CPU TEMP USUALLY STAYS AROUND 107 DEGREES F.
    AND THE SYSTEM TEMP IS USUALLY 96 DEGREES F.

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS..

WHAT OTHER INFO DO YOU NEED TO HELP?

i have amd athlon 64-bit, on windows xp 64-bit

Your issue is ram unless you have a clawhammer core.Then it could be both cpu and ram.. ;D
    Lower your agp to defult and pci to defult.
    You will never hit the clockspeed of 3.2ghz
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Your issue is ram unless you have a clawhammer core.Then it could be both cpu and ram.. ;D
    Lower your agp to defult and pci to defult.
    You will never hit the clockspeed of 3.2ghz

no sh*t i wont hit a 3.2 ghz, but in sandraSoft i am already beating the hell out of a p4/ht 3.2

MY COOLING IS A HUGE HEAT SINK ON MY APALLO 66OOGT AND AS FOR MY CPU,ITS THE STOCK FAN

MY PC IS A IDEC 210P
    edited May 2005
    MY GAMES RUN PERFECT AT MAX..WHEN MY AGP IS OVRCLK. 100MHZ IN BIOS..

WHEN ITS AT 66MHZ ITS SLOW AT SOME POINTS IN A GAME LIKE FARCRY..

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS,ARE THESE SETTINGS SAFE FOR THE LONG ROAD AHEAD UNTIL I HAVE MY 6800GT,THAT WILL BE IN A FEW MONTHS?

Sorry for the CAPS..lol

also is it ok to set my multiplier in bios to 2x instead of 4x wich is default....
    edited May 2005
    solo23 wrote:
    MY GAMES RUN PERFECT AT MAX..WHEN MY AGP IS OVRCLK. 100MHZ IN BIOS..

WHEN ITS AT 66MHZ ITS SLOW AT SOME POINTS IN A GAME LIKE FARCRY..

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS,ARE THESE SETTINGS SAFE FOR THE LONG ROAD AHEAD UNTIL I HAVE MY 6800GT,THAT WILL BE IN A FEW MONTHS?
    Only if you don't want your system to last as long as it should!
    solo23 wrote:
    also is it ok to set my multiplier in bios to 2x instead of 4x witch is default....
    You are running a 66GT and don't have it @ 8X???
    Why would you want to run 2X?:scratch:
    solo23 wrote:
    Sorry for the CAPS..lol
    Is your keyboard broken and 'cap lock' on all the time? :wtf:
    edited May 2005
    lol i have a thing about pushing the CAPS..lol sorry

You are running a 66GT and don't have it @ 8X???
    Why would you want to run 2X?

i was talking about the multiplier for my cpu..not agp slot.

here is a pic of my video card..the agp slot is very close to the air holes on the side of my pc..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

No, it isn't.

The GPU's regulates put <i>voltage</i> back to nominal. An overclock of the AGP bus can and will freeze your computer, however.
    edited May 2005
    i dunno, its weird i can lower the AGP to 66mhz but i then get errors in games like farcry(slow when there are lots of explosions and such)and color smearing when a screen saver is runnning..
    all go's away when it's at 100mhz...THE PROBLEM IS THAT EVERYONE SAYS ITS NOT WIZE TO HAVE IT THAT HIGH..!

option #1 leave the settings at 66mhz and have lowsy game play..
    option #2 up AGP to 100mhz and risk a meltdown.. :confused:
    edited May 2005
    solo23 wrote:
    i dunno, its weird i can lower the AGP to 66mhz but i then get errors in games like farcry(slow when there are lots of explosions and such)and color smearing when a screen saver is runnning..
    all go's away when it's at 100mhz...THE PROBLEM IS THAT EVERYONE SAYS ITS NOT WIZE TO HAVE IT THAT HIGH..!

option #1 leave the settings at 66mhz and have lowsy game play..
    option #2 up AGP to 100mhz and risk a meltdown.. :confused:
    option #3 Overclock the card insted of the bus.
    edited May 2005
    OK.BIG UPDATE..!!!
    After reading everyones replys i did this...
    i put the AGP(in bios) at 66mhz...
    installed .reg entry to registry so i could overclock the video card..setting at 560 Mhz core,1.10Ghz memory clock..
    I then ran FarCry and about 2 mins in i started to get color problems, flashes of differnt color in little spots...

So..My new question is DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A GOOD SETTING FOR THIS 6600GT SO THAT I HAVE PERFECT GAME PLAY? (like when the AGP slot is overclocked at 100Mhz)

i want the best game play,but really dont want to hurt my PC...can anyone help me with this?
    edited May 2005
    Take it up 5 mhz at a time and what you saw was artifacts indicate that your card can't take that.
  • edited May 2005
    Solo, using all caps is the internet version of YELLING AT PEOPLE!!! Please tone down the use of the cap lock. :)

OK, to your problems now; what you are seeing with the color flashes sounds like the gpu is overwhelming the hsf on the vid card and getting too hot, since it takes a couple of minutes before the colors start flashing on you. You can try taking the hsf off and cleaning it up and reinstalling it with a good, premium thermal interface material such as Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Ceramique and see if it helps. If you use AS5, be damn sure to not get any on pins or traces because it is slightly capacitive and I believe it can become slightly electrically conductive over time. If this doesn't work, then you will most probably have to buy a better hsf for your 6600 or maybe you will be able to get away with mounting a case fan blowing directly on the vid card, for a ghetto fix. :D You can also try backing the core speed down a little and see if the problems go away too.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that when you overclock the AGP bus you also improve throughput on the vid card, which is why you see smoother play with the AGP bus at 100 MHz. I didn't know that Nvidia's cards could still do this; back in the day of the GeForce2 and GeForce3, those cards were the ones to run on an old BX chipset board when overclocking up to 150 fsb since the ATI cards couldn't even come close to handling the massive overclock on the AGP bus on a BX board at high fsb speeds. I remember back then that if you benched a P3 overclocked way up there in fsb speed on a BX chipset board and then benched the same setup in an i815 chipset board that the BX board would outbench the 815 board every time. :cool:

I can't tell you how much overclocking the AGP bus will reduce the life of your 6600, but it's bound to have some kind of effect. You are better off trying to overclock the gpu and ram instead, IMO.
    edited May 2005
    ok guys,thank you VERY much.!!!
    i will slowly up the GPU and RAM to get a safe,reliable,smooth,game play...

thx, SoLo P
    edited May 2005
    well i have stable game play,somewhat(every now and then i get a hiccup)but all seems well..thanks for all the help..
    settings at:
    core clock 6600gt @595mhz
    memory clock @1.20ghz
    THE END, SoLo