internet page help

edited May 2005 in Hardware
my friends internet is screwed and now some web pages will close that browser window once loading, for example, if i try to go to www.java.com on his computer, once the page fully loads, the browser is closed and i have to click on internet explorer to get it back up, i imagine its a simple setting he hit somewhere but im curious as to where its at

i was wondering about the possiblity of adware/viral infections as well but all searches have come up empty

Comments

• SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    i also have this problem, but it is not a setting i have messed with.i had a pc built for me amd it is a 64-bit pc, 64-bit cpu, and 64-bit windows..there are two internet explorers on my pc.. there 32-bit explorer and 64-bit explorer. Some pages will as RPG FAN said, the pages will load and then close the browser all together..ANY IDEAS FOR US..!!! THANKX :scratch:
    edited May 2005
    ok, update...ive looked aroun a little bit and have found CRAP..!!!
    but i talked to someone that said they had the same problem but when they would have there explorer crash,they would just copy link and open it with FireFox...and everything was ok..i downloaded FireFox and opened the browser and waited forever for the page to load..it like firefox wouldnt even online, it serched forever but didnt pull up ANY pages.....So im screwed for now, i have a BETA ver. of F.E.A.R and the game needs the new patch to play it online, WELL THE ONLY DAMN PATCH FOR THIS GAME IS AT AN ADRESS THAT CLOSES OUT MY BROWSER WHEN I TRY TO DOWNLOAD....?! ClueLess :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    What are your Java settings in Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced? What type of popup blocker (if any) are you using? Are you using any sort of download tool, like GetRight, for instance?
    edited May 2005
    JRE 1.5.0_02 for applet...
    as far as i know i dont have any pop up blockers except for like
    microsoft antispy no tools for downloading,only internet explores download default stuff..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    My comp shows that I've got the Sun Java applet 2 v1.4.2_05 installed. You might try reinstalling it.

No guarantees; with all the hubbub between MS & Sun over the issue it's hard to say what constitutes the "latest" version. ;)
    edited May 2005
    ill check around for an update and/or reinstall and go from there
    thanks alot PROFDLP.!!

p.s. lol, just realized you are the only one replying to my post..probly boring you with my noobie questions.!! :scratch:
  • edited May 2005
    can i get a direct link to javas newest download then? since his comp wont load java in the first place...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Here, I'll host it up for you guys:

Link.

It should be up in about 5 minutes or so.
    edited May 2005
    thanks, im installing now, im going to brows a while an test it out to see if works..lol thx

i installed and went to several site that were known for closing my browser,but no luck...just cant figure it out...ill will keep lookin and post any changes...thanks PRIME.. :)