Most Icons on desktop have .INK added to them?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Anyone know why all shortcut desktop icons would change and have .INK on the end of them? (Win XP Pro /SP2) SP2 only because it was incorporated into the Win XP Pro CD. They seemed to have changed when I installed the new Firefox v1.0.4 w/security fixs, but I'm not really sure. All Icons work as far as clicking on them. Updated & ran AVG, Trend online, Panda online, Spybot S&D, AdAware. No problems found. Strangest thing I've ever seen happen to any of my pc's???
Even uninstalled Firefox v1.0.4. Reinstalled v1.0.3. Didn't change anything. Puy v1.0.4 back on because it has security fixes. Any ideas?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    You probably have "show known extentions enabled". Set it to show unknown types only.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Where would I find the settings for that? BTW, Thnx for the reply.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    it should be .LNK

its a link file. To not see it...

1. Open windows explorer.
    2. Go to the tools menu at the top
    3. Select folder options
    4. click the view tab
    5. check the box that says Hide extensions for known file types.
    6. press ok
    7. refresh desktop
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    That's what I thought should be changed too. But it was already checked. So, Just to be sure, I unchecked it and reset it. Refreshed and nothing. Icons still have .Ink on the end of them. Thought maybe there was someplace else that GrayFox was talking about. MMnnn. I'm at a loss. Also under (Registered file types:) [Extensions | File Types]
    There is no .LNK extension, or .Ink extension. And if I rename the Icons back to .exe on the end they are useless. Could this be a virus or hijacker?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Found out what caused it. I DL'ed the latest version of XP Anti-Spy and installed it 2 days ago. There's a setting in there that says Always show .Ink suffixes. Unset that and Icons are back to normal....smilie_yellow_icon_redface.gif
    Strange thing is it didn't set that till today! Maybe it was there and i didn't notice....Confused the H*ll outta me! Thnx for the help guys. I really appreciate your input even though it was something I screwed up.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    FYI:

It is .lnk (That's a lowercase 'L'.)

It is not in the file types because it is a windows system extension, not an assosiative extention. (Meaning that it does not assosiate a file with a particular program or process, like .jpg and .mp3 do for example, instead it is an indicator that points to another file, which exists in a different location. Its assosiative properties cannot be modified...)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Thnx for the clarification CBDroege. That makes more sense too. I tried to google it and couldn't find it. Now I know why. lol Don't know why I saw it as an I. I think I was hyped because I thought it was a virus, trojan,hijacker, etc. I'm just relieved it wasn't. Thnx again to evryone for the input. It helped me figure it out by making me think back to extentions and what settings I made in the XP Anti Spy.
  • edited May 2005
    I received an .lnk file, but i couldn't open it. From another site they said how to do it ... but now every icon is with .lnk, and I can't open anything anymore, even word, excel .... :(
    Please I need hellppp!!!! :bawling:
    This is what I did : start - settings - control panel - tools - folder options and in file types I put in the extension .lnk but everything changed in .lnk
    I deleted lnk in the list, but the icons still are with .lnk!

I know I can go back to the settings of yesterday, but i don't remember how!
    :scratch:
    Does anyone know how????
    And how can I open .lnk files???
    edited May 2005
    Reread my clarification (three posts above this one). You can't open lnk files. The lnk stands for Link. They are only pointers which link to other files and executables. They cannot be opened on their own.

If a link is not functioning properly, then it is either pointing to the wrong place, or there is something wrong with the file that it points to...

Open the properties dilog box for an lnk file to see where it's pointing.
  • edited May 2005
    Hey CB Droege,

The icons where already a long time on my computer, but I checked them anyway and they point to the right place and there isn't anything wrong with the file either, because trough c:\program files I can open the programs. Maybe I don' understand it well? I'm not a computerexpert :(
    edited May 2005
    Did you try running the programs (Word, Exel...) that were not funtioning before, by running the executables directly from their program directory?
  • edited May 2005
    Hey CB Droege,

The link doesn't work on my desktop, but when I go to C:\program files I can open every program. I tried to make a new link, but everytime its with .lnk
    I don't know what to do anymore... :scratch: