File Transfer to new Hard Drive

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I just purchased a new hard drive and want to transfer all my files to the new larger drive. What is the best way of doing this? I have access to two computers if that helps any.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Is the second (new) drive already connected? If it is, there's Xcopy (I think. I've always used Ghost). You could also try Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. They have options to clone (copy) a complete drive to another.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    do you mean windows install as well? Or do you just want your data files?
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2005
    srburn wrote:
    I just purchased a new hard drive and want to transfer all my files to the new larger drive. What is the best way of doing this? I have access to two computers if that helps any.

It is not recommended to transfer OS and programs.

Step 1: Disconnect the original hard drive and connect up the new hard drive.

Stept 2: Install your OS and partition the new drive how you would like it.

Step 3: Install service packs, updates and programs.

Step 4: connect your old hard drive and reboot the system. The OS should see the new drive and shouldn't boot off of it. The drives will come up in MY COMPUTER and you can then transfer all your data from the old drive...to the new drive.

Step 5: You can use DRIVE MANAGMENT in the Adminstrative tools of Winxp Pro to then delete all the partitions on your old hard drive and re-partition. That way you start from a clean slate on the old drive. You can also use the old hard drive as a backup drive of sorts.

Hope this helps. :)

MM
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    MM: Sure you can move the OS as well as all the programs and data and just do a repair install. Done it a hundred times. Piece of cake.

Tex
  • edited May 2005
    I want to put the OS on the new drive and use it as boot disk. I'll try to do it like Media Man suggested.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.