Athlon XP2500 + Abit AN7 how to OC?

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi guys for a while now have tried overclocking my PC now I have an unlocked Barton Amd athlon xp2500+ and an Abit AN7 motherboard, what multiplier do i need to set it on and what voltage settings do i need?
I have tried x11 with 200fsb and 1.7v but have had a blue screen once and well not sure whether i used the right settings.

I have accuired 2x512mb OCZ PC3200 DDR RAM cl2.5.3.3.7 memory i have it running on dual channel mode enabled but at 333mhz

could someone please advise on what i need to do to get a good boost of the same speed as a xp3200! thanks!

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    First off OCing will raise the temperature of your CPU. What type of cooling do you have for your CPU? What temps does it run at currently?

11x200 is too much for 1.7v most likely. Thats 2.2 GHz with a minor voltage increase. If the temps are ok bump it up to 1.8 vcore. Just raise the FSB like 5mhz at a time until its unstable for starters.

One other thing, do you know the stepping on that 2500+? Like what week it was made?
  • edited May 2005
    I am sorry I dont know what 'week' it was made, I am using a coolermaster Aero JET 7 cooler fan, unless you can reccommend me somthing better than what I have cos I am looking to change it lol, I also I used Arctic Silver Paste the latest silver one.

So you saying put the multi on x11 and 200fsb but put voltage to 1.8?
    edited May 2005
    The 'week' is printed on the CPU inself on a little sticker.

I think that fan should be good enough for a moderate OC. What are the temps?

Increase the FSB by 5mhz increments from 166 to 200 until you find the point where it is unstable IE when it crashes or fails to boot. At that point increase the voltage a notch or 2.
  • edited May 2005
    Here's a pic of a duron 1600 with the stepping and manufacture date labeled; your barton is labeled the same way. If you want a better hsf for it, sidewindercomputers has the Thermalright SI-97 for $35.99.
  • edited May 2005
    thanks for the info, I have no problems booting up the PC using 11x @ 200fsb with 1.7v but got a blue screen, i know that norton has a habit of not liking oc machines...whether this is true am not too sure.
    edited May 2005
    Try upping it to 1.8v then.
  • edited May 2005
    I hope that wont fry my cpu!
  • edited May 2005
    I really doubt that 1.8v will fry your CPU, I think I've got the vCORE on my sister's 2200+ running at that or close to it with marginally better than stock cooling and it hits about 60c under load on a hot day with the ambient temps at around 27-29c in her room and it's always stable. That's with hers running at 2106mhz too.

As to Norton being unstable on an OC'ed machine I can't say as I have ever encountered that, I've run it on every rig I've built and all have been OC'ed to some extent or another, my current rig's running a P4 2.4c at 3282mhz and Norton's never flaky on here.

I'd have to say the instability you're seeing is from the CPU running out of voltage.
  • edited May 2005
    thanks mate i will up the voltage :)